Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
illtww
Binge Watcher

Re: Never ending Recovery Mode Screen

Jump to solution

Hi All,

Save yourself the headaches of doing the “recoveries” and wondering if you did it correct.. 

Swap the main board and you will be good to go. i swapped mine (actually swapped main board, power supply and wifi card) for 20 bux.

TCL and or roku should be ashamed of themselves for this is it really is some QA issue (software or bad “memory chips / flash memory” ).

My sony TVs never have these types of issues and I won’t  be recommending TCL for my family members that all ask me about what “TV” to get because of this. 

im praying the one they already bought are not going to suffer the same fate as my 15 month old TCL.

😞

0 Kudos
Harvini
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

TCL and or roku should be ashamed of themselves for this is it really is some QA issue (software or bad “memory chips / flash memory” ).

I think you are very close to the truth.  Watching all of the problems that are occurring, it has been my opinion that what we are seeing is an expression of bad software, overusing flash memory,combined with cheap flash memory which has very limited endurance ratings.

0 Kudos
Heavyweight
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I love how u make it sound so simple... “just swap the main board”.... 1) what is the main board? 2) how is that done? 3) how do we know which board is the main board? 4) is it a plug or do we have to learn how to use that metal pen that heats and softens the aluminum?..... seems daunting and I don’t have a degree in robotics 

0 Kudos
sfad
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

You can watch some YouTube videos like these ones, and decide if you can do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NomGIIZIr0

or 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0ZQtzb_kvw

It is really not that difficult. In my case, replacing the main board (green board) was enough. The first board that I received didn't work, but it was a bad board and the second one they sent worked. Make sure you use the correct model number to order your board.

My model number was 50S425, the board that was sent to me was for 50S421, but apparently they are identical and 50S421 is the exclusive Walmart model, so it worked on a 50S425 TV.

illtww
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

That little tidbit on the motherboard is good to know. I saw that particular motherboard for cheaper then for my tv. (makes sense on model numbers!) 

Its not very hard just take your time and you will be good to go!

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

This solution worked for me. https://youtu.be/B1InbuOHZDI

When you get to the part where you have to wait for the light under the tv to remain solid as you continuously push the reset button, be patient. It can take several minutes of repeatedly pushing the reset button before the light becomes a solid white light. Soon as it displays a solid white light, immediate press and hold the button and do not let go until the tv screen flashes the Roku logo screen a few times and then finally displays the Roku Home Screen with your apps.

This fix does not require internet connection or even the usb flash update fix.

This is a known/common issue that occurs when there’s a power outage or TV is not properly turned off and the power is unplugged while the tv is on.

This is NOT a maybe it will work fix. This is a solid fix. Again, be patient when waiting for the solid white light to appear. It’s clearly explained in the attached YouTube video.

#TCL #Recoverymode #RecoveryModeStuck #Recovery-mode-stuck

0 Kudos
illtww
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

50 tries 87 tries....  

This is crazy!  Glad I spent the 20 bux on a motherboard swap.  Tv is mounted on the wall and my time is worth way more than $20 to fix this POS TCL.

Wont ever buy one agin.... 😞

0 Kudos
Joara
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hello,

I'm having the same problem with my TCL tv.

I can not get out of the recovery mode, even when I finish my update.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Joara,

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku community!

We recommend starting here to troubleshoot issues with Recovery Mode on our Support page: How do I use Recovery Mode on my Roku TV™? | Official Roku ...? If the issue still persists, we suggest contacting your Roku TV manufacturer.

You can reach them here: support.tcl.com/us or at 1-877-300-8837.

Thanks,
Mary

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I’m literally having the same issues it’s done reset & went back to recovery mode & it did the update in recovery mode & returned to same people screen this is frustrating I haven’t had this 55” a year 🤦🏾‍♀️ 

0 Kudos