Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jeff239
Visitor

How to disable devices from "casting" on my Roku TV

Why is it that my Roku TV can be taken over by my child's iPhone at the click of a button?

I can be watching whatever, and if she clicks the casting button on her YouTube app -- even accidentally -- my show is interrupted and the screen begins showing the YouTube video... that's a nice feature, but the problem is seems to be no way to prevent this from happening or to disable it..

Please note that no "pairing" was done between the phone and TV.. and it's single-click on the YouTube app so since my kid does like videos, accidental clicks happen...

Does anyone know how I can prevent my TV from being taken over by an app on another device?

Labels (1)
27 REPLIES 27
milefario
Visitor

Re: How to disable devices from "casting" on my Roku TV

nope... every phone connected to the same wifi with the Roku can cast your TV screen... just like the feature of Airplay of iphone...
it seems that, the solution is to separate the Roku's wifi from the phone's wifi... if your wifi router can set up two wifi hotspot at the same time, that will be the solution.

I also found a Roku review on google,it may be useful for you:

http://10trumps.com/best-tv-boxes/#RokuUltra
0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

If you don't need casting at all, then I assume disabling screen mirroring should block it for all.
0 Kudos
noku
Visitor

Disabling "Screen Mirroring" does not prevent the ROKU TV from showing up in list of possible ChromeCast targets.
There appears to be no way to disable this.

This is terrible.
a) House guests get confused by the choice of a "Guest Chromecast" and "ROKU - TV - 2392......"
b) the Chromecast hardware in my ROKU is so woefully out of date that it barely works... resulting in a terrible user experience.

I bought this TV explicitly for ease-of-use for AirBnB guests yet I get constant questions about this.

PLEASE make a way to stop ROKU TVs from broadcasting that they are chromecast targets. 
Until that happens, this will be my last ROKU product.
0 Kudos
kissklas

I have the same problem. Every time the neighbour starts Netflix, my cast to Roku is stopped and the Netflix channel is started.

Is there a way to atleast rename the device? If they are even selecting the device at all...
0 Kudos
twiceover
Roku Guru

"kissklas" wrote:
I have the same problem. Every time the neighbour starts Netflix, my cast to Roku is stopped and the Netflix channel is started.

Is there a way to atleast rename the device? If they are even selecting the device at all...

By far the better question is why you and your neighbor are on the same network
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

"kissklas" wrote:

When I launch Netflix on my iPhone, the option to cast to my Roku appears only if I'm on the same network. When I switch my phone to my other network, my Roku doesn't appear. That indicates that the two devices must be on the same network, as Roku says on their support Website.

So, that indicates your Roku and your neighbor's mobile device are on the same network. Meaning either he's riding your network, or you're riding his.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

"kissklas" wrote:

Yes, you can rename your device. Log into your Roku account on a computer and find your linked devices. Next to the name of the device is a small circle with a pencil image. That is the edit button. Click it and change the name of your device. But as others have noted, you appear to be on the same network as your neighbor. Something seems amiss there. 
Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
kissklas

"twiceover" wrote:

Woops, I realize I had no notifications on...

To clear that up, we are renting in a house with 3 households sharing a fiber subscription. We are on seperate Wi-Fi networks though, but the neighbors could still connect, as they are interconnected.

After a rename we have had no issues though, so thanks for the help, people!
0 Kudos
twiceover
Roku Guru

"kissklas" wrote:
"twiceover" wrote:

Woops, I realize I had no notifications on...

To clear that up, we are renting in a house with 3 households sharing a fiber subscription. We are on seperate Wi-Fi networks though, but the neighbors could still connect, as they are interconnected.

After a rename we have had no issues though, so thanks for the help, people!

Interconnected?  So your landlord is paying for the fiber and then you each have a wifi access point on the same network?  That's a huge liability for the landlord.
0 Kudos