Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DaThinMan
Reel Rookie

Connect Roku TV to Tuner/Amp for outdoor speakers

I recently purchased a Roku TV and got rid of Dish Network.  I used to be able to send the audio from the Dish receiver to an AM/FM tuner/amp and out to some outdoor speakers.  The tuner/amp has only RCA inputs-- no HDMI or Optical.  I connected the Roku TV RCA jacks to the tuner/amp RCA Aux jacks, but got nothing.  I tried an HDMI to RCA converter, and that didn't work either.  (I  have a sound bar connected via the TV's HDMI-ARC port and works well.)  I next tried an Optical to RCA converter.  I did get sound to the outdoor speakers, but it was only a buzzing, pulsing static.  I then changed the TV Audio setting from Auto to TV speakers and that worked well.  The soundbar is disabled, but audio now plays through the TV speakers and the Tuner/Amp to the outdoor speaker system. (There is a noticeable slight delay in the audio to the outdoor speakers).  Only problem is when not using the Tuner/Amp>Outdoor speakers, I have to change the TV Audio setting back to Auto to use soundbar.  Anyone have better ideas?

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Strega2
Roku Guru

Re: Connect Roku TV to Tuner/Amp for outdoor speakers

I notice you say “RCA jacks” but you tend not to use words like “input and “output” so I wanted to mention that in the audio/video world, nearly all jacks are directional.  For example, I googled up a picture of some random Roku TV (probably not your model) and I see some RCA jacks, but they are labeled “A/V In”.  So on that particular Roku TV, those are for getting signal FROM something IN to the TV. So, that might explain some of your “got nothing” experiences.

Banned but back. Because why not?
DaThinMan
Reel Rookie

Re: Connect Roku TV to Tuner/Amp for outdoor speakers

Thanks for your reply--   On the Roku TV that I have, the RCA connections are labeled 'Video, L, and R'-- no indication whether they were 'In or Out'.  I thought it was worth a try, but it didn't work.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.