Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jm84

Re: CNN Live not working on the Roku

has anyone been having issues with the app recently? January 2023? helping a friend with it and he keeps getting asked to put in activation code. 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
jm84

Re: CNN app doesn't play, just goes to a black screen

A friend had the same issue as well but I deleted the app and reinstalled it twice and then it worked by linking it to the cable service login (optimum in this case) he said he started having issues with it again unfortunately. It seems there is some sort of bug 

0 Kudos
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Hello @jm84

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

Did you restart your Roku device before re-installing the channel? That step is crucial when performing troubleshooting. If you haven't tried the suggested order (remove > restart > re-install), we would recommend giving it a shot once again. We also suggest doing the restart from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.) > System restart.

For detailed instructions, refer to this Support link: How do I resolve channel playback issues?

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos
rfmuth
Reel Rookie

I have the same issue with the CNN app and commercial breaks, although for me, the screen usually goes blank AFTER the commercial break when the show starts again. Typically, the the commercials show.  If I leave it alone, it often revert after the next commercial break, when the show starts again, but will go blank again after the following commercial set.  The only way I have been able to force it to display is to exit the show, or the entire app, and then restart the show.

I, too, tried the recommended REMOVE APP, RESTART ROKU (using the Roku System menu), and REINSTALL APP, without any change.

Note that this ONLY happens on my TCL Roku based TV, model 32S327.  I have never seen it happen with my external Roku devices attached to other TVs.  I use this TV for very few apps, but most of the ones I do use have varied issues that they do not have on the other Roku devices and TVs.  Thus, I can't fully blame this on the **bleep** CNN app or on Roku.

0 Kudos
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Hi @rfmuth

Welcome to the Roku Community!

If you are having an issue with your Roku TV screen going black but can still hear the audio, customers have reported that unplugging your device for a 5-10 minutes then plugging the Roku TV back resolves the issue.

We would recommend trying to see if that resolves your issue.

Please keep us posted on what you find out.

Warm Regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
iPino

Scary that the roku guys have no idea how to fix this problem. Is not only on TCL, I have a Sharp Smart TV and I am so tired of this problem that I have bypassed Roku by connecting an Amazon Fire, this solved the issue. Just bypass Roku and later buy a TV with a different streaming solution.

0 Kudos
Waspokey73

I have had the same issue, it's gotten worse in the past few months. I am logged in with my cable provider, and yes it will work fine usually up until a commercial break, and then I look up and the screen is black. I haven't figured out how to fix it, I just have to turn the TV off and back on again. 

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Waspokey73,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We apologized for the inconvenience. We would like to know what went wrong so we can assist you further and fix the black screen issue but will need more details. Can you please provide us with the following information:

1. Does the issue only occur on a specific channel or all channels on your Roku device?
  2. brand and model TV (this can be seen on the back of the TV)
  3. Press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times to obtain a tracker ID (we are aware that this tracker ID will be unseen due to the black screen)
    • date stamp when you triggered the tracker ID
  4. can you see a picture on the screen with the use of a flashlight

Once we have this information, we will be able to investigate further.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos