Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
adabug9000

Black screen that blinks when it turns on and has sound

Jump to solution

My TCL Roku TV turns in shows the red ROKU screen and then goes black. It has sound but my remote cannot control anything besides turning the TV on and off. It also does this thing where it starts talking to me telling me to press the home button or the back button to end the message. I press the home button and the back button and it just keeps repeating the message over and over again. I have done the whole soft reset by unplugging for 60 seconds and plugging back in. Unplugging and holding the power button for 60 seconds. Pressing the hard rest button on the back for 12 seconds. I even left it unplugged for 24 hours. Nothing has worked. I am very frustrated. Any new ideas or is this thing trash and a waste of money? 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Black screen that blinks when it turns on and has sound

Jump to solution

Hi, @ebosgar 

Greetings, and welcome to the Roku Community.

We understand that you're having an issue with your TCL Roku TV experiencing a black screen display. For this matter, TCL's support will be able to assist you further since Roku TV manufacturers provide direct support with their TV models.

You can reach their support at TCL Roku TV.

We hope this will be sorted out soon, and if there's anything we can do to assist you further, please let us know.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

TCL TVs, along with most if not all cheap Chinese TVs, seem to be prone to backlight failures.  If you can shine a bright light on the screen and see a picture then you can be pretty sure that your backlight has failed.  If you're really handy and not afraid to take it apart, you can probably find the parts and instructions online.  It would be covered by the warranty, but they only seem to be 1 year on TVs these days.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Jamesp11
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Yup I didn't even mine for a year smh. Definitely will not buy any more roku tvs. Highly disappointed....

0 Kudos
klc0624

Jump to solution

I have the SAME exact issue. The red Roku TV screen flashes for a second and then goes black. Model #43S435. Power and sound work. Tried reset. I’ve tried all the other online fixes that I can find. I am finding many reports of other TCL models a year ago having this problem after a software update, which TCL/Roku eventually fixed. I’m hoping the same will happen here. I don’t think it’s a backlight issue because the entire screen does flash with that red TCL home screen for a second before it goes dark.

0 Kudos
QV_1

Jump to solution

HI, same thing. A repair person changed some power thing inside quite cheaply. He told me it was a common mistake in TLC's to confuse the leds with this defect. I trust him.  Working flawlesly now for some time. hope it helps.

0 Kudos
TEK16252

Re: Tv screen keeps going black

Jump to solution

My Roku tv keeps going black when I’m trying to watch tv I can here them talking but can’t see nothing at all how do I fix’s it and when we are trying to watch Netflix it does the same thing 

0 Kudos
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Tv screen keeps going black

Jump to solution

Hello! @TEK16252,

We're thrilled to have you join us here in the Roku Community!

We appreciate you contacting us regarding the problem of your Roku TV displaying a black screen. We are happy to provide our assistance in resolving this issue.

• What Roku device are you using right now?
  • Is this the first time you set up/activated this Roku TV/device? If NOT, is this the first time you have experienced this issue?
  • Do you have an antenna, cable, or other device connected to your TV?
  • Is the issue happening on all contents/channels, or is this isolated to 1 content/channel?
  • What troubleshooting steps have you tried to resolve the issue?

Please keep us posted on what you find out, and we will be happy to continue assisting you further. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
ebosgar

Jump to solution

Hi, Who was the repair person that came to provide this fix? Was it a private repair person or someone from Roku/TCL? Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
Jamesp11
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I contacted TCL and they got me set up to have a guy co.e to my house and fix it here. This was a month ago and still haven't heard from anyone. I am trying to contact tcl through email but I'll have to chat support again I'm sure. Turning I to a huge pain but hopefully a fixed tv

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, @ebosgar 

Greetings, and welcome to the Roku Community.

We understand that you're having an issue with your TCL Roku TV experiencing a black screen display. For this matter, TCL's support will be able to assist you further since Roku TV manufacturers provide direct support with their TV models.

You can reach their support at TCL Roku TV.

We hope this will be sorted out soon, and if there's anything we can do to assist you further, please let us know.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.