Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
quvu2022
Reel Rookie

Black screen on a onn roku tv that hasnt been dropped

The problem is when the TV is turned off, it will not turn back on.  It would show a black screen with sound.  If I use a flash light to shine on the screen, I would be able to see a very faint home menu.  So avoid turning the TV off if you are able to get the screen to show after resetting.

Now despite some people saying that it's a problem with the backlight, it isn't.  I was able to bring the TV back several times from the death using either the reset button and/or unplugging the power cord.  Sometimes I was lucky and it came back other times I need to try resetting multiple times spanning 5-7 days.  Once the screen has come back on, avoid the following:

1. Never turn off the TV.  I configured the TV to never turn off and just use the screen saver (digital clock).  Optionally, I set the screen saver mode in 5 minutes (15 minutes is the default setting).  I also turn off/uncheck the CEC device sleep mode option as well.  It's for my sound bar that is compatible with the TV.

2. Remove the power button on my Roku remotes so I don't accidentally turn off the TV.  I have three (3) Roku remotes.  I removed the power button on two of them and put one away safely.  I needed to keep one to fix the TV when the black screen problem recurs.

3. Now this is a very special but important one to watch out for if you use Amazon Prime Video on the TV Roku menu.  Do not select/run the new episode original prime videos that are advertised at the top half of the Amazon Prime Video home screen.  As of 09/12/2022, they are the Samaritan (Sylvester Stallone), Lord of the Rings, etc.  I ran these movies and the screen turned to black with sound and it could never come back on without resetting.  Regular movies showing on the bottom half of the screen are ok.  So to be safe, I think, these movies can be watched using a laptop connecting to the TV via HDMI.

Hopefully, by not turning the TV off, I would be able to get more life out of the broken TV.  Not sure how much more electricity it would consume.  TV nowsaday is like a pc.  Turning a pc on/off would shorten it's life.  I hope the same would hold true.

Above all, I think This is more of a software problem and neither Onn nor Roku wants to address it.

0 Kudos
21 REPLIES 21
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Re: Black screen on a onn roku tv that hasnt been dropped

@quvu2022

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you.

For further assistance regarding your issue, we would recommend continuing to work with your Roku TV manufacturer as they would best be able to assist you moving forward.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Nee400

Same problem with my 70 inch Onn tv 

0 Kudos
Mandy221

It does not work when I turn it back on the screen bleeds black until it covers the whole screen

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Hi @Mandy221

We're sorry to hear about your experience. 

If unplugging the Roku TV for 10-15 minutes and then plugging back in, did not resolve you the issue you are seeing. We suggest reaching out to the TV manufacturer's support team to report the issue and for further help. Each Roku TV manufacturer provides direct support and warranty services for their products running the Roku OS.

For a list of Roku TV manufacturers' contact information, visit our Community post here: Contacting Support for Your Roku TV

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
Karma314

I bought three of the same tv around the same date and mines are doing the same thing. I have tried all of those things also. Mines did not start that until I updated them. I am not sure what to do anymore. I even bought new remotes and they came right on but after a month it started back no showing a picture. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Karma314

Thanks for the post.

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? What are the steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing? What troubleshooting steps have you already taken to try to resolve the issue?

Customer who have experienced an issue with a black screen on their Roku TV have resolved their issue by unplugging the TV for 10-15 minutes, then plugging the TV back in. Have you tried that troubleshooting step already?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
MsKim35

Hi Chasity were you able to resolve this issue

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @MsKim35,

We appreciate you reaching out to the Roku community!

We'd like to take a closer look to see if there's anything else we can suggest to help. Can you please provide us with more specific information about the issue you are experiencing? Have you tried the solution that was posted above by @RokuDanny-R?

Keep us posted and we'll continue assisting from there if needed.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
Shondda78

I’m having issues with mine it will come on updated and I can watch but once I turn off I can’t get it to come back on at all. It very frustrating. It was working fine two days ago turned it off now I can’t get it to come back on at all. Any suggestions cause I can’t afford to keep buying tvs when this one is only a year old. 

0 Kudos