Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
utahelk

Are photos cached when using Roku Photo Streams for Screensaver

I have a Roku device at a remote cabin location with low bandwidth situation. 12Mbps down and 2 up. The is the best I can get. I am wanting to use the Roku Photo Stream app. I have uploaded 80 photos. When using this app, is it the constantly talking to the cloud and re-fetching each photo, or is it caching the photos locally on the roku device? If its not caching, I will not use it for bandwidth reason. I have an SD card in my roku.

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Are photos cached when using Roku Photo Streams for Screensaver

In my limited testing what I observed is that it will cache some number of photos when it starts.  I created a stream with 10 photos and each time it starts it downloads 9 of them randomly.  I didn't do a lot of testing, so that number may have something to do with how much memory the device has.  I was using an Express 3910 which doesn't have as much RAM as some of the more recent models.  It will then cycle through those 9 photos indefinitely even if I kill the Internet connection.

Unless you have data caps you shouldn't really worry about it downloading the photos.  Photos can't compare to the amount of data in a video stream.

Since you mentioned the microSD card, keep in mind that it's only used for channel storage.  It doesn't have anything to do with caching photos or buffering videos.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos