Community discussions

Discover Roku questions and answers directly from the community. Find help, troubleshooting tips, how-tos, and make sure you know the latest announcements.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: What Roku Product to Buy for My TV

For the best Roku experience, consider the Streaming Stick 4K if your TV supports Dolby Vision, or the Ultra if you prefer a wired network connection. The Express 4K+ is a great choice for most users, offering a Voice Remote and dual-band WiFi at a reasonable price. Avoid the basic Express, as the Express 4K+ provides significantly better features for a small price increase.

0 Kudos
Lfd123

Which Roku will fit the hdmi port on my Sony Bravia smart tv which is 11 years old.

model KDL - 50W800B.

Tried 4 different Roku’s and none of them

fits the hdmi port in back of tv.

It says all Roku’seill fit any tv - not true.

what do I buy?

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

In what way did they not fit?

If your HDMI connectors are recessed in a small pocket, then a “stick” may not fit the pocket, but other Rokus (Express and Ultra) won’t be affected.  (And even sticks can be made to work with an HDMI extender.)

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

If it's an HDMI port, any Roku will work. If it's a MHL port, no Roku will work. MHL ports look identical to HDMI but function differently. But based on the specs I could find online, your TV has four HDMI ports: one side and three bottom. Any Roku should work in any of them.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Dfresh567
Roku Guru

Re: [Discussion] What Roku Product to Buy for My TV

@GoHawks 

I would say what’s more aggressive as the amount of people, writing aggressive comments about the aggressive ads that they feel that they see on the Roku

For me personally I thoroughly enjoy getting to choose the kind of wallpaper and screensaver I want.

Is the debut of Game of Thrones new season and I had no idea of that until I turned on my Roku today and Game of Thrones has clearly purchased for a large sum money to have that be on the screen behind the apps. I like Game of Thrones so I will leave it on Taylor Swift like they did a few I quickly was able to remove it.

I want Roku to survive and add revenue is a huge portion of that. Again, I personally think that this is a great way for them to make money which as a business you have to do to survive.

I am definitely noticing when on any kind of message Board. Regarding any product, any person any subject and increasing number of individuals who just like to complain, it’s almost as if to prove that you are the smartest or the most knowledgeable person on a given topic . You have to find the problem in everything and talk about it. 

I personally find those sorts of comments, reviews, ways of thinking,  as not enjoyable to read, and honestly for me wouldn’t want to spend time with people who are always finding a problem or issue with something or everything.

I bet everyone on this message Board, who is not like that has a Pierre that they know of that can relate to what I’m saying.

In this case, an individual would not recommend buying a Roku product because of how they are putting ads on their devices. First world problems, man, its  sad and it’s getting worse

on a lighter note who’s watching season 2 premiere of house of card. I am!!!!! Thanks to seeing the add on my Roku

0 Kudos

Hello,

It sounds like you’ve found a balance between convenience and security when it comes to storing your debit card online. While some people prefer not to store any payment information online due to security concerns, your approach of promptly disputing charges and getting a new card when needed seems to work well for you. As long as you’re vigilant and take necessary precautions, it’s a valid way to manage your finances.

Best Regard

Ford Benefits

0 Kudos
DrK1

I would stay away from the streaming sound bars. While the video stream is superb, their sound quality is not that great compared to competitor's bars on the market. And with a Roku streaming soundbar something weird happens. It appears that they only pass the video stream to the TV, but not the sound. Sound is modulated in the soundbar and apparently not passed on. There might be some setting to circumvent that, but I was unsuccessful with my old Emerson TV and the Roku bar after hours of trying various settings on the TV and the Roku device. That means that your optical or other sound out ports on the TV will not carry any sound when using a Roku streaming bar. This might be on purpose and a Roku marketing strategy which circumvents you from enjoying external high quality sound and are forced to buy only Roku's compatible speakers and sound bar extensions. 

You won't have the problem with a regular Roku streaming stick or streaming "brick". Here, the sound outputs from your TV will actually function, as I have experienced.

My soundbar will be mailed back for a refund!

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@DrK1 wrote:

And with a Roku streaming soundbar something weird happens. It appears that they only pass the video stream to the TV, but not the sound. Sound is modulated in the soundbar and apparently not passed on. 

Of course it's not going to pass the sound to the TV. If it did that, why bother with a soundbar? Just get a regular Roku player. That's the purpose of a soundbar, to replace the TV audio with something of higher quality. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

@DrK1  I don't think it's a marketing strategy to prevent people from enjoying high quality sound.  Rather, they probably expect people in that category to buy whatever speakers they like, and connect them to whatever AVR they like.  And then to that, they would connect a Roku player (express, Ultra, etc.) not a Roku stream bar.

Sound bars are more "mid quality".  Better than many TVs (on some TVs that's not saying much!) but not the full home theater setup.

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
jimmy79

it it wonderful

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.