Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
warles
Channel Surfer

plex app constantly exits to home screen

One of my streaming stick+ exhibits the issue - another doesn't. ???

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: plex app constantly exits to home screen

Hi @warles,

Thanks for joining us here in the Roku Community!

We see that you're seeing a playback issue when accessing the Plex channel and we'd like to share some insight about this.

However, we need more details. Could tell us when did you start seeing this behavior occur? Is this an isolated case to this specific channel or does this happen to certain channels?

In addition, have you tried any troubleshooting, and what didn't work?

Let us know more about this so that we can further assist you.

Regards,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
warles
Channel Surfer

The behaviour started on 11/7/23, however this ROKU streaming stick+ was unused from 5/7/23 until 11/7/23. It did not have the issue prior to storage on 5/7/23. It seems to be limited to the Plex channel, which is the primary channel I watch on this stick - however when I swiched to the CNN & NBC channels when Plex was unwatchable those channels did not exit. The only troubleshooting was to constantly restart the Roku and finally do a factory reset. Nothing helped.

I just installed a different ROKU stick+ and so far Plex has not exited on it.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @warles,

Thanks for keeping in touch and we're sorry to hear that you've been having this trouble with playing content on the Plex channel. We appreciate the troubleshooting steps you've done so far.

We would also recommend removing the channel that you are experiencing the issue with from the Roku home screen. Then, disconnect your device from power for a minute. Plug it back in, then try to add the channel back once more and see if this clears up the issue.

One additional suggestion we would like for you to try is you check for a manual system update.

Instructions to manually update your software:
1. Navigate to Settings
2. Select System
3. Select System update
4. Select Check now

If the issue persists, please refer to the support article here for additional troubleshooting steps: How to resolve a channel playback issue | Roku

Thanks again for posting and we hope the suggestions above get everything sorted out!

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
warles
Channel Surfer

I had already done the steps for a manual update and I had removed and reinstalled the channel (although I did not unplug the ROKU before reinstalling) and I also did a factory reset which removed the channel. Given that I don't have the issue after installing my spare ROKU it appears that the issue is with the particular ROKU device. 

0 Kudos
jahouse

I think this has to do with the Roku 12.5 update. I have this issue on my Roku Ultra but none of my Roku 3 which are still on Rokus software version 12.0.

Also see this thread on the Plex forums https://forums.plex.tv/t/plex-live-tv-roku-os-12-5-fails-on-1080i-channels/856191 

I wish I could just roll back to Roku version 12.0 on my Ultra.

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi, @warles @jahouse

Thanks for posting regarding the issue you've encountered with the Plex app.

Have you tried reaching out to the channel provider's support and inquiring further about this issue for a workaround? It seems like this issue is rooted in their channel build and design since channels on Roku are maintained by their respective providers. You can reach out for support with the channel provider at Plex Support.

Please let us know what you find out.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Brettface
Streaming Star

I'm seeing this behavior on a Roku Ultra as well, only when watching live TV streams (mpeg2) broadcast in 1080i via Plex.

Unfortunately Plex doesn't offer technical support so I can't get them to respond.  However this behavior is definitely new as of Roku OS 12.5.

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Brettface,

Thanks for keeping us posted here in the Roku Community!

Did you try all of the troubleshooting steps that @RokuMary-F has provided above? Please take these steps so we can determine if the issue is fixed.

Let us know how it goes; we'll gladly assist you further.

Kind regards,

Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Brettface
Streaming Star

I have indeed.

I've tried checking for system and app updates.  I've reinstalled the channel.  Nothing I've tried has made any impact. It started after a Roku system update a few weeks ago, although I couldn't pinpoint which exact one.

Roku is 12.5.0 build 4178.  The Plex app reports 7.11 build 2.

It looks like this problem is being discussed over here: https://community.roku.com/t5/Discussions/Roku-update-12-5-broke-the-Plex-app/td-p/906951/page/4

And here: https://forums.plex.tv/t/plex-live-tv-roku-os-12-5-fails-on-1080i-channels/856191/27

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.