Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rambling_rebel
Reel Rookie

media player not reading NAS correctly

hi, i am not sure i am posting this in the correct place, but my issue is with the roku media player app. i have had all 3 of my roku's running the media player app perfectly for about 2 years or more. i have a NAS where i have movies set up. suddenly almost like an update had been done behind the scenes, it is having trouble listing the folders and files correctly. I check my file structure and such on the NAS with my pc's here and there is nothing wrong with my NAS and my file structure (and its an old enough NAS is not being updated by the manufacturer anymore. my file folder structure is movies, music, tv series. now when watching say a tv series, not only has it mixed up titles between the different movies series, it mixes up them across file folders, for example, songs are now appearing in tv series folders...one season of The Honeymooners, got totally taken over by music...i have made no changes to the roku or NAS environment. i have factory defaulted one of my roku's and it changed nothing....i'm about to toss my rokus' as this was one of the main reason i got a roku (theres other reasons i got a roku, but this was the main one) - any idea's, thoughts, suggestions are appreciated...rr

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: media player not reading NAS correctly

The database on your NAS may have become corrupted.  See if there's an option to rebuild it.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
rambling_rebel
Reel Rookie

i think you are correct, funny that every pc and mac here sees the files and folders intact and proper, docs and videos all play/view properly and are numbered sequentially properly, but the roku's say "nope, here, let me show you how they are really organized..."

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

There hasn't been an update to the Roku Media Player app for close to three years, and even those updates were geared to music playback, not videos.

That said, RMP is merely the user interface and the player functionality is part of the overall Roku OS. The OS has been updated recently, but I can't say I've seen any difference when I check RMP for any functional changes. And RMP does show my videos in the order my DLNA server presents them. Things like playlists are in the order I have the files listed, not by title or by date. And RMP does display those correctly.

I will say that most NAS devices have a pretty "weak" DLNA server installed. While you might see your files presented one way on other devices, it still might be something on your NAS that is messing up the Roku presentation. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos