Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rich701

are you still watching yes or no

Jump to solution

while watching tv after some time a screen appears are you still watching asks click yes or no to exit is there a way to shut this off I have Roku express 4 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Re: are you still watching yes or no

Jump to solution

Hi @rich701 @musicislove

I hope you're doing well.

If your device is streaming for four hours where no commands are received from your Roku remote or the mobile app, the Roku platform interprets this as inactivity on your Roku device. After those four hours, your Roku device will display a prompt asking you to confirm that you are still watching. 

To turn this Bandwidth Saver feature off, please follow the steps below:

1. Press Home on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select Network
  4. Select Bandwidth saver
  5. Choose Off

Note: Some streaming channels employ their own mechanism to cease data usage after a specific period of inactivity. These features will not be affected when you disable Bandwidth Saver.

For more information, check out this link: How to use Bandwidth Saver to avoid going over your internet data cap

I hope this helps!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
musicislove
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@rich701 I get that too.

I think it is from the cable company to conserve streaming resources when no one is watching the service then they want to stop the drain on their network.

I am guesing.

This started happening to me recently after system updates.

Although I am not sure if it was/is the internet or Roku updtaes that started this.

I do not know if there is a setting to turn that feature off, there might be if we go nosing around in the settings and such, Hmmmmm Ive got an idea? Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hi @rich701 @musicislove

I hope you're doing well.

If your device is streaming for four hours where no commands are received from your Roku remote or the mobile app, the Roku platform interprets this as inactivity on your Roku device. After those four hours, your Roku device will display a prompt asking you to confirm that you are still watching. 

To turn this Bandwidth Saver feature off, please follow the steps below:

1. Press Home on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select Network
  4. Select Bandwidth saver
  5. Choose Off

Note: Some streaming channels employ their own mechanism to cease data usage after a specific period of inactivity. These features will not be affected when you disable Bandwidth Saver.

For more information, check out this link: How to use Bandwidth Saver to avoid going over your internet data cap

I hope this helps!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
musicislove
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

BINGO, great answer @RokuKariza-D 

Sure enough that solves this issue!

Thank you kindly. 

I saw somewhere the answer could be marked as a solution, Hmmm

So much to learn. Smiley Happy

Jump to solution

My issue is that that same message “are you still watching” comes on 1-2 minutes after I choose “yes”. I went to the bandwidth option and even did a hard reset but it’s still coming on. I don’t know what to do. HELP!!!! 
Roku TV 

0 Kudos
GaryRizzo

Jump to solution

The same thing has happened, I've followed all instructions and it's still there.  Until I get rid of it I can only watch Netflix because it doesn't show up there.  It takes up the lower half of the screen so I'm unable to watch other channels.  I'm at a loss as to how to move forward.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hey @GaryRizzo

Thanks for the post.

As mentioned in my post above, some streaming channels employ their own mechanism to cease data usage after a specific period of inactivity. These features will not be affected when you disable Bandwidth Saver on your Roku device.

With that being said, we would recommend reaching out to the channel's customer support team to see if they have any additional settings or options within their app that may allow the functionality you are looking for.

We appreciate your understanding.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
transplantwest
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I get the same message, Bandwidth saver is already off. When I click ok.... it closes spectrum. 

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hi @transplantwest

Thanks for the post.

Please be advised that some streaming channels employ their own mechanism to cease data usage after a specific period of inactivity. These features will not be affected when you disable Bandwidth Saver on your device.

Channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. We suggest reaching out to Spectrum's customer support team to see if they have any additional settings or options within their app that may resolve the issue you're experiencing.

We appreciate your understanding.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
Raceangel64
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have the Bandwith Saver turned off but my TV still asks "are you still watching". We sleep with our TV on and every time it stops playing it wakes either me or my husband up. We were using the Peacock app because it played continuously. Last week they"upgraded" the platform and now it only plays for 1½-2 hours before asking "are you still watching" then cutting off. What else can I do to make it stop asking "are you still watching"? I have the Roku Streaming Stick+ Model 3810RW Software version 11.0.0 build 4193-50.