Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: YouTube videos restricted -- FIXED

Jump to solution

TL,DR: Safesearch was enabled on my router's parental controls and was overridng my Google account settings.

------------------

After trying several suggestions in other posts, I was at a dead end when nothing worked.

My problem was that I would get a restricted content error while trying to play a video on the YouTube channel on my Roku TV while logged into my Google account.

My account was configured with my age, so that solution did not apply.

As I looked through my Google account settings using my phone, I found that safesearch was "locked on." It told me that my network was responsible for the current configuration.

On my phone, I turned off Wi-Fi, and voila, the safesearch setting could now be toggled off.

My Roku TV , however, only works using the local network. Realizing that the problem was a local network configuration, I was able to log into my router and adjust it's parental controls for safe browsing.

My router had a specific setting for YouTube restriction that was set to high (options being high, moderate or off).

Understand this: In order to get my Roku TV to play restricted content on the YouTube channel I had to turn off a safe browsing parental control on my router

The upside is that my router's parental controls we're being enforced even inside the YouTube channel of my Roku TV, and the downside was that my Google account settings were not ultimately authoritative.

Personally, I see this as a win for security policy (safe browsing).

Depending on perception, there are pros and cons to how this appears to be working today.

I hope this solution works for others. 

Have a great day!

0 Kudos
jjthejit

Re: YouTube videos restricted

Jump to solution

did u ever find a solution to this i am having this exact same problem now, please let me know

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello @jjthejit

I hope you're doing well.

For more information about that channel's features and functionality, you'll want to contact YouTube's customer support team to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves.

You can reach them here: YouTube Help

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
MostlySalt
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Yeah go back and read the reply I was acknowledging as the solution for my problem.

I don't remember the exact steps, but the problem is, that in your Google Account - Your birthdate needs to have the year.  Mine only had the month and day.  Once I entered the year in my Google account, Youtube stopped blocking adult content.

0 Kudos
AnaHarmon

Jump to solution

Hi. In this case, you need to turn off parental control. It is more convenient to do this through the app on your phone. To disable restrictions, you need to enter the password you entered when creating the parental account. If you have not succeeded, it is better to contact YouTube support. They should help you. If you do not resolve this issue, you may have trouble adding your own videos to the channel. If you're interested in this, this article will help you make the best cover for your video https://create.vista.com/create/animation-maker/. That way, you'll have more subscribers and more views. Good luck.

0 Kudos
Jlgroves23

Jump to solution

same man. still haven’t figured it out. been going on for months driving me crazy. but its only at certain times of the night.

0 Kudos
DazzaL
Reel Rookie

Re: YouTube Videos Will Not Play

Jump to solution

Same here. 
I had a #Roku TV with my youtube account installed then all of a sudden it started displaying the “something went wrong” error for certain music videos (not age restricted - just random ones)

All my data is up to date and correct in my Google and YouTube account settings. 

I have logged in/out; uninstalled/reinstalled; tried the Roku re-set trick using the complicated series of button pushes on the remote; etc. That worked but only temporarily.

same issue using a non Roku Tv and a Roku stream bar and speakers. 

This problem does not appear on my other non-Roku devices where YouTube is installed so definitely related to Roku. 

Any ideas please? Or suggestions for alternatives to YouTube for watching music videos?

thanks!

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hey @DazzaL

Thanks for letting us know about the issue you're experiencing.

Did you restart your Roku device before re-installing the affected channel? That step is crucial when performing the troubleshooting. If you haven't tried the suggested order (remove > restart > re-install), we would recommend giving it a shot once again. We also suggest doing the restart from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.) > System restart.

Let us know if there's any difference after.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
DazzaL
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hi Kariza,

Thanks for the answer - and sorry for the delay! 

That seems to have worked in terms of fixing the issue of videos not playing at all.

There is a new issue with the Youtube Queue function where songs added to the playlist queue do not play (even though they are now playable); i.e. they are skipped.

Is there any Roku configuration to help with this or is this a YT issue?

Thanks!

Darren

0 Kudos
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello @DazzaL

We appreciate your post.

Channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel developer themselves. We suggest reaching out to YouTube support team to see if they have any additional settings or options within their device that may allow the functionality you are looking for.

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos