Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nokelho2

YouTube disables my mute button during ads and instead pauses the ad.

I have a roku and I used to be able to mute ads or videos by using the side mute button.

As of a few days ago, I can still use the mute button as long as an ad isn't playing.

Now if the ad is playing and I hit mute, it pauses the ad instead. Any other time the mute button works as intended.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Strega2
Roku Guru

Re: YouTube disables my mute button during ads and instead pauses the ad.

I haven’t watched youtube in a few years so I have no knowledge of that but it sounds pretty clever – in an evil sort of way.  😀

This could make a strong argument for Roku players instead of Roku TVs – that is, I assume there’s no way they could intercept the mute on your (non-Roku) TV remote.

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: YouTube disables my mute button during ads and instead pauses the ad.

Welcome to the Roku Community, @nokelho2!

Thanks for informing us about this. We'd like to suggest some troubleshooting steps to help you refresh the system of your Roku streaming device.

Before we proceed, could you please confirm if YouTube is the only app affected by this? If not, could you also let us know the affected apps?

In the meantime, please try rebooting your Roku device by navigating to its Home screen. Scroll up or down to select Settings > System > Power (skip if unavailable) > System restart. Also, try rebooting your physical Roku remote by following the steps provided in this support article: How to fix your Roku voice remote that is not working

Please keep us posted on how it goes and we'll go from there.

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.