Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tarview

YouTube black screen in videos

I am having an issue with the YouTube app on our Roku. It is a Roku Express.

Everything works fine on the system except when we try to play a YouTube video. We can select the video. When we scroll over a video, the preview plays. But when we select the video, there is no video, just audio and a black screen. If we pause, the progress bar appears and the video is paused, with other suggested videos appearing below. However, even if we select one of THOSE videos, the same thing occurs (video is black, but playing).

I have tried restarting the Roku through System, restarting the Roku by unplugging it and leaving it unplugged for several minutes, deleting the YouTube app and reinstalling it, and completely resetting the Roku device to factory. Nothing helps.

Other apps (at least the ones we have installed like Netflix, Disney+, etc.) play video just fine. The problem seems to be with the YouTube app itself, but I can't figure out why it just started happening or how to fix it.

Any idea what the issue could be?

11 REPLIES 11
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Re: YouTube black screen in videos

Hello @tarview

Welcome to the Roku Community!

In some cases, removing the affected channel and then re-installing it may help. To ensure the process is successful, make sure to restart your device before adding the channel back in. We would recommend doing this from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > System restart > Restart.

For detailed instructions, refer to this Support link: How to resolve a channel playback issue 

Let us know how it goes!

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos
jhdaoust
Reel Rookie

I removed YouTube TV and restarted my new Roku device and while it plays the screen is black.  What's up?

RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Hi @jhdaoust
Welcome to the Roku Community!

Does the issue only occur on YouTube or across other channels installed on your Roku device?

Have you tried removing the affected channel YouTube and then re-install again? If not, we suggest starting there. In some cases, removing the affected channel and then re-installing it may help. Restart your device before re-adding the channel back in to ensure the process is successful. We recommend doing this through the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If there is no Power submenu, proceed to the next step.) > System restart.

For detailed instructions, refer to this Support link for more information: How to resolve a channel playback issue | Official Roku Support.

Let us know if there's any difference after.

Warm Regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
jhdaoust
Reel Rookie

YouTubeTV plays fine through the Samsung interface.  The problem appears on all channels.  Roku indicates it "can't determine the display type."

0 Kudos
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Hi @jhdaoust

Thank you for the inquiry!

You will be able to access and change the display type when you first set up your Roku device/TV.

For more information about display type, please visit our Support page here: How to change the display type on your Roku® streaming player | Official Roku Support.

Warm Regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
jhdaoust
Reel Rookie

None of the various options I selected provided a video playback and the message is that it can't determine the video display even though the TV has no problem displaying the test image.  This is a new Samsung TV and new Roku Streaming Stick 4K.  Both were installed by Best Buy techs.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@jhdaoust

Thanks for the post.

We would be more than happy to look further into this issue, but need more details. Can you please provide us the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)
  • steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing 

Once we have this information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
JenK10419
Reel Rookie

I’m experiencing the same issue (also a Samsung TV and a 4K streaming stick). Also professionally installed. It started with YouTube, then Peacock, then Hulu. Now tonight Netflix. I’m on the verge of just dumping Roku.

jhdaoust
Reel Rookie

The issue appears to have been fixed for my particular setup by powering the Roku stick with its own AC adapter plugged into wall power.  Now, it's just another cable to hide, which I was trying to avoid.  

0 Kudos