Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Timothy_260
Reel Rookie

YouTube app speed playback option lowering quality

I’ve had my TCL Roku TV for years and I’ve never had this issue but starting 2 days ago anytime in my YouTube app when I go to increase my watch speed to 1.25 or higher it automatically lowers the quality of the video to 480p.

I checked my internet speed and I’m getting 500 mbps so I know it’s not a connection issue. I’ve tried deleting and reinstalling the app, restarting my tv, everything I can think of.

Does anyone have any other suggestions or had this problem that they fixed previously?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: YouTube app speed playback option lowering quality

Warm greetings here in the Roku Community, @Timothy_260!

We understand that you're facing an issue with the video quality of your YouTube channel, and we're here to help you out.

To assist you better, we'd like to know if this issue is happening with all channels or just with YouTube. Also, have you tried restarting your internet router? For more detailed information, we'll be able to assist you further and provide the appropriate solution.

We'll be waiting for your response and will continue to assist you.

Thanks,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Timothy_260
Reel Rookie

Yes it’s just happening with the YouTube app only. I’ve tried everything on my end but I think think it’s a glitch with the app itself.

According to "Stats for Nerds" on mine, the "Optimal Res" just instantly recalculates to 640x360 @ 30 Hz once the speed is increased. Doesn't matter which increased speed. My connection speed does not change. I'm around 77900 to 78100 Kbps for normal speed 1080p (max for the video I'm on) AND for 1.25x @360p.

I don't know how to fix it, but something has to be off about the calculation of "Optimal Res" to make it undershoot this much.

0 Kudos
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for the update, @Timothy_260!

As this issue is related specifically to the YouTube channel, we recommend that you reach out to their customer support team to receive further assistance and clarification. Please note that independent streaming channels provide the majority of the content available on the Roku platform. These channels are responsible for maintaining and updating their content.

We hope we have addressed your question appropriately, but reply to this message if the above did not fix your issue, we will gladly follow up.

Best regards,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos