Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
James_NYC
Streaming Star

Re: YouTube Playback Speed suddenly no longer available March2022 ?

thank you @DBDukes when I select the "more" option I have: "HD", "Save", "Like", "Dislike", "Report Flag", "Stats for Nerds" ......

The "playback Speed" used to be in this "more" category up until a few weeks ago

AeroSpaceTech
Roku Guru

@James_NYC ...................rather than keep going around and around there are several ways to watch YouTube. Phone, laptop or tablet. Yes those maybe a smaller screen but depending upon your laptop you can plug your laptop into your TV via an HDMI cable. Personal I wouldn't bother making such as fuss. Eventually it will be corrected. Not the end of the world. 

https://www.asurion.com/connect/tech-tips/how-to-easily-connect-your-laptop-to-your-smart-tv/

UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

@James_NYC@Matusow@DBDukes (et al)

TL;DR: 

RokuTV's often have delayed/confused YT/YTTV versions/build updates due to differing RokuOS builds/hardware capabilities and are the "red headed step-child" of Roku and therefore Google support.

Non-4K/HDR player models dont have the speed setting because they are on an older/less capable platform build.

Contact BOTH Roku & Google to address the old-build/delayed-functionality of YT/YTTV apps for Roku TVs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Google's YT/YTTV apps (and those of some other developer's like NetFlix) use a dual-layered app approach, with a platform layer that delivers platform/hardware-specific functionality (updated via the platform's update process via updates published to the platforms app servers/system), and a UI layer that delivers a capabilities-based "universal" user interface (updated at run time via download from Google's servers).

These two layers together form the app on a given device, and the dual layers have different versioning, the (external) platform layer being dependent on the platform's versioning system (e.g. 2.21.94005088), and the UI layer being dependent on Google's (internal) "universal" UI versioning system (e.g. web_20220309_10_RC00)

For the Roku platform, Google uses both model (range) & RokuOS version/build specific platform-layer app builds for the YT/YTTV apps (it can be complex/complicated).

Generally, it breaks down as follows per current versions/builds:

• Legacy:  2.0.93900086 (e.g. 2710)
  • Non-4K/HDR:  2.20.93005147 (e.g. 3800/3910)
  • 4K/HDR: 2.21.94005088 (e.g. 3810/4670/4800 - This was 2.20.xxxxxxxx until late last year/early this year, when they were bumped up to Latest version/build)
  • Latest release model(s):  2.21.94005088 (e.g. 3820)
  • Roku TVs/others:  2.21.94005088/2.20.93005147/etc

Generally speaking, the newest models (which are almost always on a different RokuOS track:  X.X.1) get the newest YT/YTTV (and NF for that matter) versions/builds, and 3-12 months later this version/build is expanded to all capable models.

You'll notice that Roku TVs are their own category, and they often have different RokuOS builds for different TV's with different capabilities (e.g. 4K/HDR vs 1080p vs 720p vs etc) - because of this, their YT/YTTV versions/builds are often behind/delayed relative to the player models, and even if current, their functionality limited/"confused" at times due to the differing RokuOS builds.

This is a routine/occasional problem for the YT/YTTV apps for RokuTVs, and is only addressed when both Roku and Google are pressed on the issue (the TV manufacturers are out of this loop).

AeroSpaceTech
Roku Guru

@UserOfStreamers  Holy c-r-a-p Smiley LOL

0 Kudos
James_NYC
Streaming Star

thank you @AeroSpaceTech I think eventually this will correct as well,, thank you for the useful link and yes, I have "Screen Mirrored" before to my TV from my computer and I do have the "Air Play" link on my desktop YouTube to airplay to my TV and up the speed that way as well... 

I'll be glad when they restore the option,, I only use it on lengthy clips, it does come in handy.. 

PS: and yeah, before "AirPlay" and easy 'Screen Mirroring' I do have a 20' HDMI cable that I ran from my computer to the TV,, it was a great connection 😄

UPDATE: I just tried something here: I started a YT video on my desktop iMac,,, and put the speed at 1.50 and as it was playing I "AirPlay" to my Samsung TV (I have ROKU Ultra) and it picked up and continued playing,, but at NORMAL speed,, no matter how many tries, it would only AirPlay at Normal speed, "very curious indeed"

I do feel something like this will be in the next upgrade/correction (fingers crossed)

AeroSpaceTech
Roku Guru

@James_NYC  Just got home and thought I would do a test. I have 2 TCL Roku TV’s. The video speed on YouTube works on both of them. One is a 32” 1080p and the other is a 65” 4K HDR

32” - Roku OS 10.5.0 build•4210-48

65” - Roku OS 10.5.2 build•4318-CG

YouTube version of both - 2.21 9400508832”32”

65”65”

0 Kudos
James_NYC
Streaming Star

wow @AeroSpaceTech that is exactly how my TV Roku channel "used" to look,, and I have the same 2.21 version of YT.

hmmmmmm and I tried something a bit earlier that I Updated in a previous message you left:

<<UPDATE: I just tried something here: I started a YT video on my desktop iMac,,, and put the speed at 1.50 and as it was playing I "AirPlay" to my Samsung TV (I have ROKU Ultra) and it picked up and continued playing,, but at NORMAL speed,, no matter how many tries, it would only AirPlay at Normal speed, "very curious indeed">> 

I will be patient about this,,, after all,, the loss of Playback Speed dropped suddenly,, maybe it will be restored suddenly as well 😄

AeroSpaceTech
Roku Guru

@James_NYC . Is your Roku OS about the same number as mine? I actually just checked my Roku Sticks and Playback speed is also there. 

James_NYC
Streaming Star

@AeroSpaceTech ,, My Roku Ultra is a 4660X Roku Ultra,,,, and I have a Samsung TV 

YouTube version: YouTube version:  2.21 Build 94005088 

my ROKU OS is 10.5.0 build 4208-46

AeroSpaceTech
Roku Guru

@James_NYC  what is your Roku operating system version? 

0 Kudos