Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jmljr93
Reel Rookie

Why won't Disney Plus subtitles turn off?

Jump to solution

On my TCL 5 series tv, the Disney Plus app works but for some reason, there are automatic subtitles on every show/movie. And there is no option to turn them off while watching the title.

Also, lots of older titles like “Davy Crockett” have German subtitles. It’s quite hilarious, but frustrating that they cannot be adjusted on TCL Roku app. Anyone else experiencing this? Or know to how get TCL to fix the bug?

0 Kudos
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Re: Why won't Disney Plus subtitles turn off?

Jump to solution

Thanks for reaching out. Try pressing the * button during playback and access the option menu to turn closed captions off. You may also need to log into your Disney+ account online, and check your settings to see if this is enabled anywhere. These settings may carry over from your account into the channel/app automatically.

If you need more help, please contact Disney+ support to report the issue you're seeing with their content. You'll want to cite the model of device you are using, along with the title you are watching so they can take a closer look.

Let us know what you discover!

Thanks,
Tanner

View solution in original post

Discretion

Jump to solution

I found the answer. I have the same TCL. Go to the home screen and highlight the Disney Plus App, once highlighted push the * button on your remote. It will bring up a menu for the app. Select update, it will update your app and the subtitles should be off. That worked for me at least

Amber1987
Reel Rookie

Re: Disney+ TCL TV- Subtitles Won’t Turn Off

Jump to solution

Hey there i had the same issue today, subtitles came on out of no where, there are NO options in the Disney+ app on my roku to turn them off, or any other settings that can control settings like that, the only thing i could do was press * on my roku remote and that is took me to the settings for the tv not the app, and of course the closed captioning option was turned off, i tried to update the app, it was up to date, i tried unplugging the tv, i reset the roku from the roku home screen, i tried checking my disney+ app settings from my account online again no such options, and i tried every other suggestion i could find from the internet, NOTHING worked, so i removed the Disney+ app from my roku, and then readded it, logged back in and subtitles were gone, apparently this is a glitch within the app itself, u can remove the app by going to the roku home screen, go to the Disney+ app, press * button on remote, go to remove channel or app option, click on it, then go to roku home screen search, type is Disney+ and proceed to download the app.

0 Kudos
27 REPLIES 27
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Disney+ TCL TV- Subtitles Won’t Turn Off

Jump to solution

While viewing a show press the asterisk *, from the left side a menu shows up, scroll down to captions and turn them off.

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Thanks for reaching out. Try pressing the * button during playback and access the option menu to turn closed captions off. You may also need to log into your Disney+ account online, and check your settings to see if this is enabled anywhere. These settings may carry over from your account into the channel/app automatically.

If you need more help, please contact Disney+ support to report the issue you're seeing with their content. You'll want to cite the model of device you are using, along with the title you are watching so they can take a closer look.

Let us know what you discover!

Thanks,
Tanner

Jmljr93
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hi,
Yeah it isn’t the TV CC system. When I click the *, Closed Captioning is already turned off as per usual. The shows and movies themselves have the subtitles already attached during playback and no way to turn them off. Only happening on my TCL Roku tv. Does not happen on my LG C7 tv and that interface has an option in playback for subtitle preference.
I’ll contact Disney+, thanks!

CtheK

Jump to solution

Hi I have a problem - my Captions stay on with every movie in Disney+ and with the Roku App despite me turning it off on the individual apps and on the system as a whole. How do I fix? It is turned off on the home screen, and turned off in App - yet it still shows. Does anyone have an answer to this? 

0 Kudos
Discretion

Jump to solution

I found the answer. I have the same TCL. Go to the home screen and highlight the Disney Plus App, once highlighted push the * button on your remote. It will bring up a menu for the app. Select update, it will update your app and the subtitles should be off. That worked for me at least

BRDodd

Jump to solution

This completely fixed my issues. Update or Check for updates.. Nailed it!!!

0 Kudos
caleb8462

Jump to solution

THANKS!!

0 Kudos
Rebelkitty

Jump to solution

Thanks! This was driving us nuts!

0 Kudos
Dizzney

Jump to solution

I am having similar issues. I updated the app and no change. I've been having a Star Wars marathon and for 2 films it showed the subtitles all the way through. Can't remember which one was first but now it was doing it on Empire Strikes Back. The others have been fine. I tried to go in and switch to Off, During Replay and even On, but no change. Really frustrating. I ended up exiting all the way out and going back in and now they are gone but something is glitchy somewhere.