Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wildca7
Reel Rookie

Re: WW84 using HBO Max causes Roku to overheat

I have the same issue over heating on HBO Max. 

0 Kudos
seadooman
Reel Rookie

Contact TCL they brought out another board, swapped and resolved issue 

0 Kudos
Cajungene
Reel Rookie

Who is TCL?

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

TCL is a TV manufacturer. Roku does not build or sell Roku TVs. They are all manufactured by 3rd party companies. Here's a link to all of the different manufacturers of Roku TVs, and how to reach their support. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
sfbluenote
Channel Surfer

Hi ....I have a Roku Stick 4K about 18 months old. It overheats on HBO Max after  10 - 15 mins...I let it cool down, restart HBO Max and it then overheats again. I Have the Roku Extension cord and Im using the USB power cord plugged into a wall adaptor, not the TV.  Its a major p.i.a.    What can I do now?

Thanks,   Alan Powell

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@sfbluenote

Thanks for the post.

Have you tried placing the Streaming Stick in a different HDMI port on the TV? Some TVs offer HDMI ports on both the back and sides of the TV, which may help improve airflow to the unit.

If that isn't an option or doesn't seem to resolve the issue, feel free to send me a PM with your Roku account email address and the serial number of your device from Settings>System>About. I'll follow up directly to assist you more from there!

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Wildca7
Reel Rookie

Model 3810x streaming stick+

S/N YH00C7419748

I have tried changing HDM1. 
My stick is hanging below the TV not near any heat  

I have read others are also having the same issues. It’s only with HBO Max

[personal information removed]

0 Kudos

Re: Why is HBO Max causing Roku to overheat?

@brykeller wrote:

Hi there! Strange thing is happening. We watch content on our Roku all day including Netflix, Discovery+ and others, no issues. When we load HBO Max to watch WW84 the Roku overheats after about 10 minutes. We get the temperature check warning. This only happens with this specific content. No other channels or shows have caused this. Anyone have ideas of what could be going on?

Same issue. It's only hbo max.  I used to get a bad data error in a lot of shows as well. I stopped watching hbo max as a result and ended up replacing it. Now i have hbomax again and the overheating is constant.  Roku should stop pretending they are not aware of this. 

I had to aim a stroller fan at it to get it to stop.  But it's noisy. 

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Re: Why is HBO Max causing Roku to overheat?

Hi @Wildca7 @HatboroMike

We're sorry to hear about the issue you're experiencing.

In some cases, removing the affected channel and then reinstalling it helps. To ensure the process is successful, restart your device before adding the channel back in. We would recommend doing this from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.) > System restart.

For detailed instructions, refer to this Support link: How do I resolve channel playback issues?

Let us know if there's any difference after.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
mvneufeld
Reel Rookie

I’m having the same problem but with Amazon Prime and HBO Max. I am usig the extender. I agree with you “I have an extender so Generic answers to this by Roku only makes this issue more irritating.”

I want a fix to the problem or my money back.