Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
meenunclemike
Reel Rookie

We can't watch any shows rated TV-MA on Roku through Wi-Fi

When we try to watch any show rated TV-MA on our television (Roku through Wi-Fi), it advises of an error and stops at the rating screen. I can watch these shows on my desktop downstairs but not upstairs on the TV. I can watch R-rated shows, but nothing labeled TV-MA. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: We can't watch any shows rated TV-MA on Roku through Wi-Fi

There is a parental controls section under your user account settings, available on the web site, not via a device. But I would expect any TV-MA blocked would experience the same thing with an R rating. I just double-checked my Premiere and I found no parental settings on the device itself. So the only settings I can find are on the user web site. 

Is this happening within a specific app/channel? It's possible that the app itself might have parental controls within it and that is what is being triggered here. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
meenunclemike
Reel Rookie

That's the weird thing...we can watch these types of shows on other streaming channels through the Roku, it's just Hulu. I looked up the parental guidance at roku.com and it wasn't turned on so that's not the problem. Also, I can watch the TV-MA shows on my desktop, no Roku. Oh well...we were so excited to see Only Murders in the Building! :>)

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Well, if it's only happening on Hulu, then I would check the settings inside the channel on that specific Roku. It sounds like it's something within their specific channel settings, not something under your Roku account. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.