Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mdphilps
Reel Rookie

Re: Watch history not updating on Roku TV YouTube App

Jump to solution

Having the same issue on my Roku's with the YouTube App.  The above solution does not work.  Roku really needs to fix this soon!

RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

We do apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you.

If the available troubleshooting steps posted in this thread's solution didn't work out for you, I'd recommend following my latter suggestion which is to reach out to the channel's customer support team to report the problem. There might be an issue within the YouTube channel on our platform that needs to be addressed with an update from them.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
SaintlyK

Jump to solution

Here's a possible solution for those with Roku Sticks who tried the Roku-recommended solution without success:

1. Remove the YouTube channel

2. Turn off your television

3. Disconnect the Roku Stick and wait 30 seconds

4. Reconnect the Roku Stick

5. Turn on your television

6. Reinstall the YouTube channel and log in

This worked for me when nothing else did. Maybe it will help someone else.

Jump to solution

This totally worked. Thanks!                                                 

0 Kudos
MrMark
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Same problem on my newest Roku Ultra.   The suggested procedures had no effect.  And I'm sure you guys know that YouTube is Google, so nothing is their fault.  I fear that the solution will only be found by a collaboration between Roku and YouTube because right now, each is passing the buck to the other,

You guys may not care, but if you can't (or won't) fix this, I'll go buy some other streaming player that actually works with YouTube and I won't be buying or recommending any more Roku devices.

MrMark
Streaming Star

Roku doesn't save YouTube search history

Jump to solution

There is another thread with a similar title - it is marked as resolved, but it is most definitely not resolved.

I have three Roku Ultras.  On two of them, when I search YouTube, the search phrases are reflected in my search history.  It propagates between all of the other Rokus as well as my real computers and mobile devices.  That's how it's is supposed to work, and it has always done so  until I got my latest Roku Ultra 4800.  On this most recent Roku, the search history is updated only if I use my default Google ID, but if I use my YouTube "brand" ID (which is what I always do), the history doesn't reflect any of my search history on that particular Roku device.  Instead, the search history is filled with things that I have never searched for, and my searches never replace those things.

I have removed the app, restarted the device, power cycled the device, re-installed the YouTube channel/app multiple times, but to no avail.  I think it's worth mentioning too that each time I try to sign in, it never works with the phone option.  As far as I can tell, it doesn't even try.  It looks very much like the Roku is malfunctioning.  The only way I can get connected it to either tediously log in via the Roku interface, or resort to my laptop.  This may be connected in some way.

I have contacted YouTube/Google multiple times, but they contend that this is a Roku problem, so I really do hope that someone at Roku will take ownership of this problem and come up with an actual solution.

Psilobite
Roku Guru

Re: Roku doesn't save YouTube search history

Jump to solution

It's happening to me as well, and I'm a Roku 4660X user.

I actually had the entire search section go blank in the YouTube Roku channel. It came back when I switched to Google DNS, but without personal search history. It only shows the same search suggestions that it would show if no user is logged in, with the little flame icons appearing to the left of them. I also am using my YouTube "brand" ID.

I have an older smart TV that has YouTube on it. It looks exactly the same as it does on Roku, and shows the same internal version as Roku (web_20211003_10_RC00). There, search is working as expected... no blanking, and shows personal search history, even with the YouTube "brand" ID. So, it would appear this issue is only affecting Roku. Update - I logged out of the YouTube app on the TV, then logged back in, and it now has the same symptoms as the YouTube Roku channel. So this does appear to be a problem on YouTube's end.

(My YouTube Premium account costs me $11.99 per month.)

MrMark
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply.  I have YouTube Premium as well, so maybe that figures in somehow.  FWIW, I spent quite a lot of time on chat with Roku support last night, but got exactly the same reply that I saw elsewhere in this forum.  I had the impression that it was a copy/paste.  They kept passing the buck to another person and at the end, they hung up on me.  I tried to make the point, but they weren't having it.  They're just delivering the company line, whether it makes any sense or not.  I mean, I could have been talking to a bot because what I was saying didn't affect the responses at all.

YouTube is Google, so their arrogance is real, but at the same time, in a contest of arrogance where Google is blaming Roku and Roku is blaming Google, I would tend to believe that Google has superior expertise, if only because of the sheer magnitude of their user base.  I believe Roku has a problem, but have no idea how to get through to anyone who cares.

J_Mo
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I have this exact problem.   The search page is empty.  I have search history turned off, but youtube is useless to me without the search page.

0 Kudos
MrMark
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I agree that your experience might be related to mine in some way, but to be clear, I have never seen a blank search page.  Nor do I have search history turned off, because I very much want access to my search history.  That's actually the subject of my post.

And I'm not sure if I made this clear before, but Roku also fails to update my watch history, so even if I manage to find the same video that I watched on some other device, Roku doesn't transmit that fact to YouTube, meaning that other devices also don't know what I already watched.  To borrow your own words, it makes youtube is useless to me.