Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mvc
Channel Surfer

Unable to login to Max on Roku after HBO Max changed

Jump to solution

Cannot log in to Max (formerly HBO Max) via Roku app anymore. TV screen says to "update" to Max but there's no QR code to scan or any way to login to Max from the TV. I canceled the HBO Max subscription that I was getting from Roku and then signed up for Max directly through their website. Still cannot login to Max app from TV via Roku. Has anyone solved this? I'm going to just cancel Max altogether if it can't be accessed from Roku TV. 

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
mvc
Channel Surfer

Re: Unable to login to Max on Roku after HBO Max changed

Jump to solution

Unable to delete the original post. I was able to login to MAX after midnight. Apparently it wasn't functional until after midnight of May 23.

View solution in original post

Mzmelr
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution
I got this from another user  it worked for me:

I chose login with a QR code/Provider, which puts a QR code and a 6 digit code on the screen. If you scan the code, it asks you to choose your provider, which if you're like me and have an account with HBO directly, is useless.

HOWEVER, if you SKIP the QR code, go directly max.com/login on your computer and enter the 6 digit numerical code, you can then sign in on your browser and it should log you in to the Roku app.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

42 REPLIES 42
mvc
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Unable to delete the original post. I was able to login to MAX after midnight. Apparently it wasn't functional until after midnight of May 23.

Wendy36
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

No matter what I've done I can't get in! No problem on android phone or iPad just Roku.... Gfrrr

RokuMaresa
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Wendy36 

A warm welcome to the Roku Community!

We'd like to know more about how we can help!

• What error messages or error codes do you see when trying to play the channel?
  • What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far?
  • What device are you using right now? (e.g., Roku Express, Roku Streambar, Roku TV)

In some cases, removing the channel and then reinstalling it may help. To ensure the process is successful, follow the steps below, making sure you restart your Roku device before adding the channel again.

1. Remove the channel. Highlight the channel tile on your home screen and press the Star button on your Roku remote to open the Options menu. Select Remove channel and confirm.
  2. Restart your Roku device: Home>Settings>System>Power. If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step, "System restart.
  3. Re-install the channel: Visit the Roku Channel Store and add the channel again.

Please keep us posted!

Thanks,

Mares

MaresH.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Kizakl
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

This did not work for me. I haven’t been able to sign in at all.

Wendy36
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I had to reset my password 3-4 times and it finally did. My one roku updated to Max while the other one I had to delete and reinstall. 

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I still can’t login to max on roku. I just get “Oops something went wrong, let’s try again”

I can login just fine anywhere else. 

I’ve tried all the trouble shooting steps, and when speaking to HBO/Max support they say the problem is on Roku’s end. 

tpurol

Jump to solution

I have tried everything removing channel and adding back, canceling subscription and resubscribing. Nothing works. I just get a very long error message of letters and numbers. I hate paying for services I can’t get.

mvc
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hello. I have a 2018 Chromecast Vizio TV. I was able to login to Max via the Chromecast Max widget which carried over to Roku. I have not had a problem since. I use Roku for all my streaming and rarely even look at Chromecast but when this issue happened to me I was able to login to Max via Chromecast initially to bypass the issue I was having with logging into Max via Roku.

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi Community users,

Thanks for the posts regarding the issue you are experiencing with the new Max channel.

Please be aware that we believe the issue of being unable to authenticate and channel crashing has been resolved for the majority of customers.

For customers who are stuck on the Max channel splash screen, please see this Community post: Max channel stuck on splash screen

If you are still experiencing an issue with channel authentication or crashing on the Max channel, we would recommend trying again at a later time as well as taking the following troubleshooting steps:

1. Check for a system update through Settings System Software update
  2. Restart your Roku device through Settings System Power System restart

If you are still experiencing an issue with authentication and channel crashing on Max channel, we would be more than happy to investigate further, but we will need further details. Can you please provide us the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)
  • steps to reproduce the issue

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

We look forward to working with you to help resolve this issue.

Thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos