Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Screen turns black when oppening Channels/app not opening

When we turn on our roku and open an app like disney + or Netflix it opens but immediately the screen turns black and the roku restarts

10 REPLIES 10
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Screen turns black when oppening Channels/app not opening

Hi @Susieq21305,

Thanks for your first post in the Roku Community!

We understand you are having trouble with playback on channels. In some cases, removing the channel and then reinstalling it may help. To ensure the process is successful, follow the steps below, making sure you restart your Roku device before adding the channel again.

1. Remove the channel. Highlight the channel tile on your home screen and press the Star button on your Roku remote to open the Options menu. Select Remove channel and confirm.
  2. Restart your Roku device: Home>Settings>System>Power. "If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step." System restart.
  3. Reinstall the channel. Visit the Roku Channel Store and add the channel again.

Please keep us posted on how it goes.

Warm regards,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Lynngord175
Reel Rookie

I just spent 45 minutes doing an online chat with a Roku service person and got no resolution. I did several troubleshooting steps and nothing worked. Below are just a.few of the troubleshooting steps I was told to do.  I also have uninstalled and reinstalled the app. I have unplugged the TV. Please provide a resolution.

Screenshot_20230719-224246_Chrome.jpg

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Lynngord175,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We understand that you're having channel access issues. We want to help you with this. For us to better understand the issue, could you please provide the following information below:

• Channel/s affected by the issue?
  • Troubleshooting steps taken.
  • Steps to reproduce the issue.

With more detailed information, we'll be able to assist you further.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
msb335pro
Binge Watcher

I don't how many people this would apply to, but I'm thinking the most important step to do right now is find your receipt and take the friggin thing back to the store! It's becoming quite obvious that Roku's limited support is getting many of us nowhere, fast! 

I've had it up to here with my Ultra, and nobody seems to offer any real solutions on a fix! There is no doubt in my mind that many of the problems we're having right now are on Roku's end, and they keep passing the buck on the outage being elsewhere..., my network, it's raining outside, or whatever excuse they can give to avoid admitting responsibility. 

0 Kudos
Lynngord175
Reel Rookie

The problem I have is just with the Pluto app on all the TV's that I have. The Pluto app works fine on our phones, but none of the Roku TV's. It worked fine until Tuesday morning when the app icon was moved to the bottom of the screen as if it had just been installed.

The TV's have all had the app reinstalled. I was in contact with a tech online last night and was told to go through a number of steps related to my network and system reset. None of those troubleshooting steps helped.

RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Lynngord175,

Thanks for your response!

When removing a channel, please make sure to remove the channel, restart your Roku device, and then add the channel back, specifically in that order.

Please keep us posted, and we will be happy to continue assisting you.

Thanks,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Lynngord175
Reel Rookie

I followed your direction in the last message and the screen remains black for a while, then the Pluto logo comes on the screen as if it's loading, but nothing happens. Then the app exits and goes back to the Roku home screen.

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

@Lynngord175,

Thanks for the prompt response!

We see that even after removing the channel, you are still experiencing the issue, and we appreciate your efforts. Let's try and see if these steps work for you.

Try connecting your device to an alternative network, such as a mobile hotspot, and then try again if you're still seeing the same issue.
We advise you to get in touch with the channel support staff to see what they can do if the issue continues. If the problem just affects a single channel, there is probably a problem with that particular channel that has to be fixed with an update from the channel publisher. Roku only host the channels on the platform.

Keep us posted!

Thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Lynngord175
Reel Rookie

Pluto worked when I connected to my phone's hotspot. 

Why is this not a Roku problem since the app is streaming through a Roku device?

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.