Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
InjayMama
Reel Rookie

Screen stuck on "use accessibility shortcut: screen

The mute button on the right side when held down will trigger this shortcut. It will eventually go away on its own after a minute or so. Otherwise, I have to get the remote to the Samsung tv to close it out. 

30 REPLIES 30
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Help! Screen stuck on "use accessibility shortcut: screen

Hi @InjayMama,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We would be more than happy to assist you with this. Have you made any recent changes line in your settings? Also, what are the steps to reproduce the issue?

Once we have this information, we'll be able to assist you further.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
InjayMama
Reel Rookie

Nothing has changed with our settings. I can easily reproduce the pop up. Just holding down the mute bottom on the side of the Roku remote will trigger the accessibility pop-up window. There is a “close” button within the window but you must use the TV’s remote (Samsung in our case) to close the window. Otherwise, if you do nothing the pop-up window will disappear in its own after about one minute. There is no way to close the window with the Roku remote that I have found. I also have not found a setting that will disassociate this accessibility setting from the Roku remote. 

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@InjayMama, holding down the mute button on your Roku remote is no different than holding down the mute button on your TV's remote.  I imagine if you try it with your TV's remote you'll see the same shortcut screen.  Go through your TV's settings to see if there's a way to disable the shortcut.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
InjayMama
Reel Rookie

Well, you are partially correct. The pop-up “accessibility shortcuts” does come up if I hold down the mute button on my TV remote as well. I checked the TV’s setting- particularly under “accessibility”- and everything there is “off” and there is no option to disable the shortcut button. Not sure where to go from here. 

renojim

I can see how that would drive a person nuts.  I can't think of a reason why the Roku remote would be more likely to trigger it than the Samsung remote.  I was just hoping there was a way to disable in the TV settings.  I literally just got a new Samsung TV, but I haven't seen this behavior, yet.  Now I'm hoping my TV doesn't have this "feature" (it's bad enough that it doesn't look as good as the cheap TV it was meant to replace).  The only thing I could suggest is to try going through the procedure again under Settings->Remotes & devices->Remotes->[your remote]->Set up remote for TV control and lie when it asks if the music stopped to get it to try a different code.  Maybe a different code would be less likely to trigger it.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@InjayMama 

On some Samsung TVs, you can disable the Accessibility button under Advanced Settings. (switch to "None" under Accessibility Shortcuts).

Some Samsung users also reported Resetting their Samsung Remote fixed the issue as well.  To reset the remote, remove batteries from the Samsung Remote and press/hold the Power button for 20-30 seconds.  Put batteries back in and then try the long press on the Mute button again.

Apparently, the long press is designed to bring up the Accessibility menu, while a short press of mute is merely muting the sound.  The Reset is supposed to erase this configuration. (hopefully, if it works on the Samsung remote, the Roku remote will no longer be triggering it as well).

----

Seems like this is a pretty common occurence.  Low batteries in Firestick remotes seem to trigger this a lot also.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
InjayMama
Reel Rookie

That did not work either. Wish it did! 

0 Kudos
GeoPotato

After googling on my issue, I came to this thread. My Roku controller's mute button is behaving the same way, but I'm using an LG television instead of a Samsung. I barely touch the mute button, but the Accessibility options pop up and/or triggers the audio guidance settings. That gets old verrrryyyy quickly. Ha. Given that this issue is affecting multiple television brands, there seems to be a design flaw with the Roku controller's mute button. I agree, it does get worse with low batteries (which can also trigger some insane volume increases and decreases, but that's a separate issue). I'm tempted to try a different streaming device for awhile to see if it's isolated to Roku specifically.

RokuAnjelie
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @GeoPotato

Thank you for posting here in the Roku community!

We understand that you're having a problem with your screen being stuck on the accessibility screen.

Can you please give us more details regarding the problem you're having so we can further assist you:

• Steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing.
  • Screenshot of the issue you are seeing.
  • Troubleshooting steps taken to resolve the issue.

With more information, we can assist you further.

Please keep us posted!

Thanks,

Anjelie

Anjelie A.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos