Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jaywindsor
Binge Watcher

Screen goes black periodically on Netflix and Amazon Prime Video | Roku Ultra

I also have exact same problem, have tried the same as all these methods, and got our tech guys back in to look at. Baffled.

Our apple TV running through the same cinema works totally fine

Would appreciate some advice from Roku here

0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Screen goes black periodically on Netflix and Amazon Prime Video | Roku Ultra

Hi @jaywindsor,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We appreciate you for posting. We'd like to take a closer look to see if there's anything else we can suggest to help but we need more details. Here are a few questions here to better understand what you're experiencing:

• What kind of issue are you experiencing?
  • What Roku model device are you using?
  • When did this issue first start occurring?
  • Which streaming channels are you experiencing this issue on?
  • Does the issue only occur on a specific channel or all channels on your Roku device?
  • What specific troubleshooting steps have you taken so far to try to resolve the issue?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
jaywindsor
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku Premiere - screen goes black periodically on every channel I use

Great stuff, thanks Mary

It started that the screen blanked, audio continued and then after about 5 seconds the video came back. I have deleted and reinstalled all apps including netflix and reset the settings. I have the top HDR vision available through my setup so 4k vision enabled, albeit the auto is trying to pick 4k HDR10. I was advised by my tech guys to force the top visual option which I have.

I am using Roku Ultra (hardwired)

First found the issue about 2 / 3 months ago so have been switching between this and my apple tv however the roku is much better as integrated through control 4 so i am keen to fix this.

Netflix is a problem for sure, although have had same problem on prime.

Look forward to hearing thoughts

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @jaywindsor,

We appreciate your feedback as our valued customer and thanks for following up about the black screen issue with your Roku Ultra. We want to make sure that we can get this resolved as soon as possible. We will work with you to know what went wrong so we can assist you further and fix the issue.

Just to verify, do you observe this behavior while using any other channel(s) on your device aside from Netflix and Amazon Prime Video? Does this happen on all movies/shows on Netflix and Amazon Prime Video or just specific titles? 

In addition, please refer to the support article here for additional troubleshooting steps: What to do if you cannot see the picture from your Roku® streaming player on your TV | Official Roku...

If the steps provided by the Support page still aren't helping, please reply back and we will be able to assist you further.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
jaywindsor
Binge Watcher

Thanks for the feedback.

I have reviewed the link and don't think it's too relevant as relates more to permanent issues with sound and vision. My issue is intermittment, for example last night at 39 mins into a netflix film the screen blacked, sound went, then the video paused. Same again about an hour in.

It is only really netflix and prime i use the roku for, I also have an Apple TV for film downloads and have no issue with this.

It does feel more sporadic. Prime generally always works ok with the occasionaly screen blank problem. Netflix seems to be more regular. 

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @jaywindsor,

Thanks for your response.

We're sorry if it caused any inconvenience and we'd like to gather more information about the issue you're running into. 

Please help us with the below information to proceed further: 

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID)
  • steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further. We look forward to your responses and gathering your details.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
jaywindsor
Binge Watcher

Ok thanks Mary.

Answers below...

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)

4802X - Roku Ultra

X010002Y8G69

S0DA222Y8G69

11.5.0.build 4312-C2

Netflix : Version 5.2.build105096019

Prime : Version 14.1.build 2023021311

I can't reproduce the issue as it is intermittent, not all films and not all at same time. For example last time happened was 39 mins into the film. The next time I watch a film I can do the tracker and let you know but in the meantime please let the appropriate team review so far and let me know if anything obvious.

Many thanks

Jason

0 Kudos
jaywindsor
Binge Watcher

Hi Mary

looks like others are having same problem as me. Be useful if we could get an update from roku on this thread to help others. Did you pass over my comments last Friday do the relevant department, not seen a further update?

jason 

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @jaywindsor,

Thanks for following up regarding your issue with playing 4K content from Netflix and Amazon Prime Video.

In addition to the information you have provided, please provide the tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times).

Once we have this additional detail, our engineering team would like to take a look to see if we can help here. Thank you!

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
jaywindsor
Binge Watcher

Thanks Mary. Further to all the other data above here is a tracker ID from last night...

69-188-401

This was on Netflix and about an hour in

Please advise next steps.

Thanks

0 Kudos