Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Timbo08

Roku keeps asking me to exit the app/switch to another app

Jump to solution

Hello!

My Roku device displays a prompt that says "exit this app" or "switch to another app". It does so about every 10 minutes continuously the whole time I'm watching TV. Is there anyway to prevent this from happening? It's honestly quite annoying 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuRiamie-D
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku keeps asking me to exit the app/switch to another app

Jump to solution

Hi @Timbo08,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We noticed in your post that while you are watching TV, every 10 minutes, you will see the error "exit this app" or "switch to another app." No worries, we would be more than happy to sort this out for you.

Before we proceed, could you please tell us if this error always pops up on a certain channel only or on all of the channels that you are watching?

In the meantime, we recommend you try these troubleshooting steps below.

Restart your Roku device if this issue happens from all of the channels:

To restart your Roku device, you can either unplug the power cable, wait a moment, and then reconnect it. Or you can use the following steps to restart it from the Settings menu.

1. Press Home on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select System
  4. Select Power. If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.
  5. Select System restart

If this issue only happened to one or specific channel please do the following:

1. Remove the channel: Highlight the channel tile on your home screen and press Star to open the Options menu. Select Remove channel and confirm.
  • Note: If you are removing a subscription channel billed to your Roku account, you must cancel the subscription before you see the Remove Channel option. For help identifying this type of subscription channel, read the detailed article about removing a channel.
  1. Restart your Roku device: Refer to earlier instructions to restart your Roku device.
  2. Re-install the channel: After your Roku device restarts, visit the Roku Channel Store and add the channel again.
  • Note: If you are adding a subscription channel billed to your Roku account, you will need to resubscribe.

You may also visit our support article for more details: How to resolve a channel playback issue

Please let us know if these troubleshooting steps help you to resolve your concern.

Regards,
Riamie

Riamie D.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

I suspect your remote is malfunctioning or your Roku device is picking up a stray signal that it's interpreting as a button press.  If your remote has batteries, try removing them to see if it still happens.  If you have a Roku device other than a stick (sticks connect to the TV without the need for an HDMI cable), try covering up the Roku device so that no light can get to it.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
RokuRiamie-D
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Timbo08,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We noticed in your post that while you are watching TV, every 10 minutes, you will see the error "exit this app" or "switch to another app." No worries, we would be more than happy to sort this out for you.

Before we proceed, could you please tell us if this error always pops up on a certain channel only or on all of the channels that you are watching?

In the meantime, we recommend you try these troubleshooting steps below.

Restart your Roku device if this issue happens from all of the channels:

To restart your Roku device, you can either unplug the power cable, wait a moment, and then reconnect it. Or you can use the following steps to restart it from the Settings menu.

1. Press Home on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select System
  4. Select Power. If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.
  5. Select System restart

If this issue only happened to one or specific channel please do the following:

1. Remove the channel: Highlight the channel tile on your home screen and press Star to open the Options menu. Select Remove channel and confirm.
  • Note: If you are removing a subscription channel billed to your Roku account, you must cancel the subscription before you see the Remove Channel option. For help identifying this type of subscription channel, read the detailed article about removing a channel.
  1. Restart your Roku device: Refer to earlier instructions to restart your Roku device.
  2. Re-install the channel: After your Roku device restarts, visit the Roku Channel Store and add the channel again.
  • Note: If you are adding a subscription channel billed to your Roku account, you will need to resubscribe.

You may also visit our support article for more details: How to resolve a channel playback issue

Please let us know if these troubleshooting steps help you to resolve your concern.

Regards,
Riamie

Riamie D.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.