Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SteveJ1
Reel Rookie

Roku Media Player Not Working for Pictures / Photos

Windows 10 DLNA Media Server is setup and working on Roku for videos and music but it doesn’t work for photos / pictures.  Clicking on “All Pictures” (and other categories) produces a pop-up window “No compatible photos found in: All Pictures (or other category)”.  Clicking on “Folders” produces a never ending spinning loading icon.  My system is 3920X - Roku Premiere.  Tried to log in and request agent support but none is available for this device type.

As an aside when I set up the windows media library, I followed these guidelines: When you have turned on media streaming and authorized the devices in Windows Media Player, you need to choose what songs, pictures and movies that can be streamed over the network. By default, all the music that you load in the “My Music”, photos in the “My Pictures”, and movies in the “My Videos” folders gets added to your PC’s media library.

0 Kudos
21 REPLIES 21
SteveJ1
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku Media Player Not Working for Pictures / Photos

Additional information - the media library has jpeg and png files. Neither filetype is found.

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Hi @SteveJ1

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku Community. 

Have you tried to remove and reinstall the Roku Media Player to see if it helps? 

To ensure the process is successful, restart your device before adding the channel back in. We would recommend doing this from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.) > System restart.

If you need assistance with the Roku Media Player, you can visit our Support page for troubleshooting here: How to use Roku Media Player to play your videos, music and photos

Hope this helps. Let us know if you need additional support. 

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos
SteveJ1
Reel Rookie

Hello @RokuNimfa-C,

Thank you for the reply.  I gave your suggestion a try and still the same problem.  

The new version of Media Player channel is 5.5 b 13 - Feb 17, 2022, Developer Roku.

It still will not display photos (at least not for me).  Music and videos still working.

RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @SteveJ1,

Thanks for the update!

We do appreciate the troubleshooting steps you've taken so far to access your media player on your Roku device.

We'd like to know how we can help. Could you provide us with more details about the issue you're seeing? Please let us know any additional information you may have that would be helpful for our team to look into further.

• Is there an error message?
  • What are the specific steps to reproduce the issue?
  • What is the OS version on your Roku device?
  • Your device serial number

We may need to look into this issue more thoroughly. 

We're looking forward to your response.

Regards, 

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@SteveJ1 RMP hasn't had a meaningful update in over two years. I don't use RMP for photos, only videos. But I also want to point out the the DLNA server built into Windows is "less than ideal". While your videos shouldn't be a problem, the Windows server has little configuration ability and is unable to transcode a lot of video formats to play properly on a Roku device.

I instead use Serviio (disclaimer: I am a forum moderator for Serviio, but not a paid employee). I'm using RMP right now to play some photos I have on my test server, and they are playing as a slide show without an issue. These are all JPG files, but there's no issue with them appearing for selection or playback.

If you decide to try Serviio, I am also the author of the Roku profiles that are included with Serviio, so if there's ever a playback issue you can reach out to me here or on the Serviio forum. Note that there's no issue running Serviio, Plex, or other media servers concurrently with the Windows Media Server, so you can test different products without a problem.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
SteveJ1
Reel Rookie

@ RokuERay,

Thank you for reaching out for additional information.  Please see below.

• Is there an error message?  See numbered item list below.
  • What are the specific steps to reproduce the issue?  See numbered item list below.
  • What is the OS version on your Roku device?    Software Version 11.5.0 build 4312-91.
  • Your device serial number?  Serial Number YH008R71465 (3920X Roku Premiere).
  • [ Device ID: K42898714565 ].

Steps to reproduce the issue and error messages:

1. Set up Windows 10 DLNA media server on desktop computer. Network and Sharing Center -- Media Streaming Options -- Allow access using default options  (music, pictures, recorded TV, videos -- all checked / all allowed.)  -- Authorize all devices found on the local area network to access media.  Note the Roku device shows up as "unknown device" but I confirmed its identity via the MAC address.
  2. On the desktop computer - copy or move mp3 files to the Music folder; move png and jpg files to the Pictures folder, and move mp4 files in the Videos folder.
  3. Go to the Roku device.
  4. Select Roku Media Player App / Channel.
  5. Select the All category
  6. Select Media Device (click on the icon of the windows 10 DLNA media server that was just set up)
  7. Select Pictures Main Category
  8. Select All Pictures (or a category other than folders) --  Error: No Compatible Media found in All Pictures (or other category).  The Media Player App is not finding and listing png and jpg files stored in the Pictures folder on the desktop computer.
  9. Back and select the Folders category under Pictures -- Spinning loading icon that does not resolve
  10. Back several steps and select Music Main Category - forward several steps, no problem finding and playing mp3 files stored in the Music folder on the desktop computer.
  11. Back several steps and select Videos Main Category - forward several steps, no problem finding and playing mp4 files stored in the Videos folder on the desktop computer.

0 Kudos
jim3dlong

Having the same issue with no luck.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@jim3dlong when you are responding to a thread with numerous posts, you need to be more precise about a) what the problem is and b) what model Roku you are using. We can't offer any advice without knowing this information. Just saying "same issue" does not provide any context. Thanks!

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
SteveFL
Reel Rookie

I am having the same issue with photos on one of my Roku TVs. (#75R635)   It works fine on the other older one.   Photos will not display from Roku Media player.   Am using a Synology server but since it works on the older Roku TV, it must be an issue with the TV.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app as suggested but still not working. 

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.