Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ChanM
Reel Rookie

Removing Ads on Home Screen

Jump to solution

Hi,

why am I seeing ads on home screen? I didn't buy giant billboard here if the ads are showing with in apps sure but even on Home Screen ? 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Removing Ads on Home Screen

Jump to solution

Hi, @ChanM.

Greetings from the Roku Community.

Certain ad types on the Home Screen can be hidden and replaced with an alternative ad. Use the following instructions to hide and replace the ad on the right side of your Home Screen.

1. Select the ad using the directional pad on your Roku remote
  2. Press Star 
  3. Select Hide this ad and press OK

In addition, Roku allows you to limit the types of ads shown on your device, by either hiding individual ads or limiting certain ad categories.

Use the following instructions to opt out of ads that may contain sensitive content:

1. Press Home on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select Privacy
  4. Select Advertising
  5. Select Sensitive ad content
  6. Select one or more sensitive ad categories
  7. Press OK

For reference, you may visit this support article dedicated to this: How to manage ad preferences

We hope you find this information helpful.

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, @ChanM.

Greetings from the Roku Community.

Certain ad types on the Home Screen can be hidden and replaced with an alternative ad. Use the following instructions to hide and replace the ad on the right side of your Home Screen.

1. Select the ad using the directional pad on your Roku remote
  2. Press Star 
  3. Select Hide this ad and press OK

In addition, Roku allows you to limit the types of ads shown on your device, by either hiding individual ads or limiting certain ad categories.

Use the following instructions to opt out of ads that may contain sensitive content:

1. Press Home on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select Privacy
  4. Select Advertising
  5. Select Sensitive ad content
  6. Select one or more sensitive ad categories
  7. Press OK

For reference, you may visit this support article dedicated to this: How to manage ad preferences

We hope you find this information helpful.

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
joespinach
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I see "solutions" to the question on removing ads from the Roku home screen.  All these "solutions" involve selecting preferences for TYPES of ads.  But what if my preference is to see NO ADS ABOUT ANYTHING?  Now, get this.  I'm serious.  I would be willing to PAY a monthly FEE, if it guarantees I will see NO advertising whatsoever on my home screen. That includes taking over the entire home screen, theme and wallpaper!  No banner ads, no videos.  No ads!

RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, @joespinach.

Thanks for letting us know about your sentiments regarding the commercials prompted on your Home screen. 

Rest assured that we'll share this with the team as this feature is not available on the Roku streaming platform yet. 

Thank you for your understanding regarding this matter.

Regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
joespinach
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Please understand, I'm not talking about commercials that appear during programming.  I'm talking specifically about the banner ads, the text-with-still photo ads that appear on the HOME SCREEN.  I'm not referring to streaming.  I'll pay a (reasonable) fee to have an ad-free home screen.  Thanks.

RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

@joespinach

I completely understand your point. I'll make sure to let the team know about this. 

In the meantime, hiding ads on your Home screen is a possible workaround. Check this support article: How to hide an ad

Thank you for your patience and understanding. 

Regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Sparkspnt

Jump to solution

I so sick of ads, everything forces them on us whether we like it or not. Roku is increasing its ads and forcing them on us. I am now having to go into my Home Screen settings to remove menu items on the Home Screen, just turned off menu item “Agatha all along”. I have turned off Agatha all along, live tv, sports, featured free, what to watch, daily trivia, along with numerous other ones that pop in there, next week will be something else. So bloated! So, now there are three places they are forcing them on us. I would also pay a monthly fee to be ad free. I personally feel we should not have to but Roku has turned greedy and has to pay those CEOs. Wanted to get my two cents in here as I am already looking for a different solution also. Please stop forcing this stuff on us. Offer a subscription to remove ALL ADS! And I may stick around. 

6 TVs all use Roku

James2363

Jump to solution

The "Manage Ad" and "Advertising" Roku settings and blocking "Mature / Sexual Content" AND "Religion and Spirituality" still brings the Disney Agatha All Along advertising which is a violation to both those blocks.  This needs to be resolved immediately. 

I don't care what you believe is acceptable but this content is sexually explicit and occult and needs to be blocked when customers are given methods to do so.  Ruku, protect the viewing rights of you customers.

RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Welcome to the Roku Community, @James2363!

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. Rest assured that our team will be aware of this, as your convenience and satisfaction are among our top priorities.

Let us know if there's anything else you'd want us to address. We'd be more than willing to listen and take action as we are committed to finding a resolution to your concerns in the best way we can.

In the meantime, your patience and understanding are highly appreciated.

Regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
LekaKaft
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

You are not talking about removing ads, but replacing them with another ad!!! So.....Roku's response to all of us wanting absolutely NO ads is to replace the current ad with a different ad? You are not listening to all of us at all!!! We DON'T want ANY ads on our home screen!!!

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.