Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GaryB007
Streaming Star

Redbox bankrupt... app shows nothing

Jump to solution

So with the bankruptcy of the Redbox parent company everything Redbox shows nothing, the app and the website.   I did buy a few movies on there but are now not accessible. Lesson learned... buy the dvd, get a physical copy if you want it, never use the cloud.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Redbox bankrupt... app shows nothing

Jump to solution

Hello, Community Users!

Thanks for your post in the Roku Community!

We appreciate you for bringing to our attention that the Redbox is no longer working.

We are aware of an issue with the Redbox channel in which it is not accessible, and customers will not be able to log in, view content, or make purchases. This is an issue with Redbox and not your Roku device. We suggest reaching out to Redbox support for any questions regarding access or purchased content. They can be reached at help.redbox.com or via email at customerservice@redbox.com.

Thanks,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@GaryB007 

From what I gather, looks like operations have been suspended.  Shame.  It was a good channel/app.

Unfortunately, if being managed by Chicken Soup for the Soul, Crackle and others may be next.

https://cssentertainment.com/

-----

The problem with many of these streaming services today is they remain tight-lipped when running into problems and feel no need to answer to their customers.  Just keep borrowing money until it finally runs out and then silently close up shop.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

DSHouston07
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Yup apparently they just decided to screw everyone. I’ve lost probably $10k in movie ownership thinking they wouldn’t do anything like t. That it would be YouTube not Redbox who would do it. The bad part is that I’m sick enough that I wasn’t paying attention. 

0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hopefully, if Redbox does shut down, they can sell the licenses to somebody else.

This is a good lesson to only "buy" movies/shows through a service that can link to Movies Anywhere. That will let you watch your purchase across multiple services.

https://moviesanywhere.com/ 

They currently link to : Verizon, DirecTV, Apple TV+, Prime, Fandango at Home (formerly Vudu), Google Play, Microsoft, Comcast/Xfinity.

I have a bunch of free movies from Comcast via Xfinity Rewards, and most of them are available across the services. I also have several BluRay movies registered.

0 Kudos
JasonG76

Jump to solution
  • I agree these mugs are sorry, I had movies on there and now can’t watch, that’s ok, won’t ever join another
andyross
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

One tiny glimmer of hope: In liquidation, they sell off assets. Maybe someone or some service will buy up the purchase rights and make them available somehow.

Basically, as I have stated before, stick one of the big names that are unlikely to go under, and stick with ones that link with Movies Anywhere. Although if a service does shut down, not sure what would happen with your purchase license.

0 Kudos
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello, Community Users!

Thanks for your post in the Roku Community!

We appreciate you for bringing to our attention that the Redbox is no longer working.

We are aware of an issue with the Redbox channel in which it is not accessible, and customers will not be able to log in, view content, or make purchases. This is an issue with Redbox and not your Roku device. We suggest reaching out to Redbox support for any questions regarding access or purchased content. They can be reached at help.redbox.com or via email at customerservice@redbox.com.

Thanks,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

The word "own" has changed meaning. This is stealing.

and ofcourse our goverment is fine with it.

0 Kudos
-__-1

Jump to solution

When you purchase a product you're only buying a subscription.  You don't actually own it. 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.