Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ophidic
Channel Surfer

Re: No channels work on Roku HDMI device.

And like... What big advancements in streaming have taken place in 10 years that render entire software suites useless when a 20 year old browser works just fine? Just smells like a stunt to move new products tbh, who'd buy new streaming devices if everything worked just fine without errors? Nah you gotta be phased out.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@Ophidic wrote:

And like... What big advancements in streaming have taken place in 10 years that render entire software suites useless when a 20 year old browser works just fine? Just smells like a stunt to move new products tbh, who'd buy new streaming devices if everything worked just fine without errors? Nah you gotta be phased out.

First, in the past ten years 4K and then HDR/Dolby Vision have come out, along with Dolby Atmos. So there's a few advancements made. Next, you are not using a 20 year old browser. I don't know what browser you're using but they are updated all the time. I just had an update to Chrome today.  You're comparing hardware with software. There's no way to update hardware without having someone take it apart, replace something, then put it back together. It's simple to do that with a PC (change motherboard, video card, add RAM, etc.) but seldom possible with dedicated devices. 

The next time I replace the TV in my bedroom, I'll Iikely need to replace my AVR as well. The current one doesn't support Dolby Atmos or DV, and my next TV in that room will likely have DV. Electronic devices have a finite lifespan if you want to keep them working with the latest technology. Sure, the ancient Pioneer receiver I have in my garage still works, and I only need it to play the local radio station when I'm working out there. But I removed it from service for AV duties maybe 15 years ago, because it didn't have HDMI ports and could not support the latest audio and video codecs. 

I'll remind you once again that Roku is not who made YouTube no longer work on older devices. That was and is Google. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

This thread made me flash back to about 30 years ago when I was working at Intel.  We wanted to integrate PCs with CE equipment and we’d pitch to CE vendors that their CE equipment could be upgradable and adaptable and they kept telling us that wasn’t their business model.  Their (everyone we talked to) business model was to make the best/cheapest/coolest/most competitive device of right now.  Then forget about it and design the next one.

So I certainly can’t complain about you liking PCs.  Even though I’m retired now, it makes me happy.

Admittedly though, both models have their advantages. 

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.