Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: New MAX app error: "There's a problem with your device setup"

Hi @PhotoMan2,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

We understand that you're experiencing issues with the MAX channel. Regarding this, we would be more than happy to help you. We recommend performing the steps below to resolve the issue:

1. Remove the channel from the Roku device.
  2. Restart the Roku device from Settings > System > System Restart.
  3. Add the channel back.

One additional suggestion we would like to recommend is to perform a system update. You can check for a manual system update by navigating to Home > Settings > System > System Update > Check Now and seeing if you notice any difference.

Let us know what you find out!

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
deepshadow5
Reel Rookie

I'm having this same problem with a brand new Roku that I bought my parents. The 4802X is working fine with the latest update on my samsung 4K TV, but when I put it on the LG in the other bedroom, it will not work with MAX and throws the same device error.  Every other app that requires HDCP compliance is fine and the Roku itself does not throw the incompatibility error.  The TV is HDCP compliant as other devices that require it work just fine.  For some reason, it's trying to stream these shows in 4K which the TV does not support and MAX does not offer any way to change the resolution.  The old HBO app worked just fine.  They really need to fix this.

0 Kudos
deepshadow5
Reel Rookie

Update to this - I believe that this is an incompatability with a chipset driver in the newer ROKU models and something with how things are translated to some TVs, not anything specific to HBO MAX.  The reason I state this is because one of my older ROKU Ultra's, exact same model the 4802X, but about 1 year old, works just fine on the same TV that the newer one is throwing this error on.  For now, I just switched out them as the newer one works on my Samsung without any issues.

0 Kudos
outlaw30-06
Binge Watcher

Here it is July 7, 2023 I’m still having these problems. This is absolutely absurd! This **bleep** cost too much money every month to not be able to watch anything for going on two months now! As far as I’m concerned at this point Max can go screw themselves and I’m starting to feel pretty much the same way about Roku. Regardless of whether it’s Max’s app it’s on the Roku server and they should be working together to fix this problem. The app launched four months ago and still doesn’t work properly for most subscribers. I even switched to a brand new Roku streaming stick and it’s not working on there either. In fact on the streaming stick, I can’t even update the app from HBO Max to the new max platform. It just keeps reinstalling HBO max app. It shows the updated max app in the channel store but when it installs, it’s the old HBO Max app. This is absolutely asinine.

Moleman_X
Binge Watcher

Yep.  I cancelled Max about a week ago, tired of paying for a service I can't use in my home theater.  I'll check next time they offer a free trial and see if it's fixed then. 

I'm REAL tired of spending hours on the phone with companies trying to troubleshoot their **bleep** products.  Pay some engineers to fix this, Max!

P.S. - just read an article about how piracy is on the rise again.  Max is doing their part to drive people to that extreme, but boy, just listen to them moan about it.

0 Kudos
deepshadow5
Reel Rookie

It's not MAX that's causing the problem - it's the Roku and the newer chipsets and how they translate things over HDMI with HDCP enabled.  My Roku ultra that I bought a year ago works just fine with MAX on the same TV and same software while the new one I bought a few weeks ago does not.  Roku needs to fix this not MAX, or provide firmware updates with the newer chips.

0 Kudos
gi0rgi0s
Reel Rookie

I hope Roku support can respond to this. They should know their own chipsets.

0 Kudos
Moleman_X
Binge Watcher

I guess that's possible.  All I know is had zero problems with the Roku EXCEPT for the Max app.  Every other channel works, as did the old HBOMax app.  Mine is a 4800X, so not the latest version.

0 Kudos
gi0rgi0s
Reel Rookie

I agree with your thinking 100%. It does it seem that the app is the issue.

It's also an issue that's cross-platform we've learned.

But that's not an excuse for Roku support not to dive into it. We need a proper response not just a bunch of obvious debugging steps.

• Did you try updating?
  • Did you try restarting?
  • Did you try throwing your Roku out the window?

Is this a bot or is someone getting paid to respond like this.

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi Community users,

Thanks for keeping us posted about the issue in the Max app!

We understand that you're having a problem with your Max app. We would be happy to look further into this issue, but we need more details. Can you please provide us with the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • Does this issue occur on a specific channel? If so, what channel and what version or build is it? (This can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button.)
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID).
  • Steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information, we can pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos