Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
astrotrek
Reel Rookie

MAX on roku with caption problem. most series and movies have problem with caption on MAX streaming

I am deaf. caption with MAX worked last week and today it does not work all.  I have two TV with roku and both not work with caption on MAX.  I believe that roku has a problem with caption. I called MAX support, and they said roku need to fix it. not MAX. 

14 REPLIES 14
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: MAX on roku with caption problem. most series and movies have problem with caption on MAX str...

Hi @astrotrek,

Thanks for your first post in the Roku Community!

Have you tried pressing the * button and making sure the closed captions are on? Are you able to see closed captions on other channels on your Roku device?

With more information, we will be able to assist you further.

All the best,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
astrotrek
Reel Rookie

Re: MAX on roku with caption problem. most series and movies have problem with caption on MAX str...

Yes, I tried to set up everything but it did not display caption on MAX streaming.  other streaming work with caption on roku.  MAX streaming still not work with caption even caption to turn on.  it worked last week and now it stop working yesterday.  MAX streaming on xbox work with caption. too

0 Kudos
chaos5399

Same issue on a 55" TCL roku television. Verified cc is "always on" under the "*" menu and within the MAX app. "Miracle Workers" (S2 E1) started with no CC even though settings were turned on. Toggling CC in the MAX app brought them back on for one episode. Episode auto played and CC were off again. Tried toggling in both the app and "*" menu...restarted the television...no luck.  Have had similar issue with other apps...Pluto TV most recently. Suggestions?

RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @astrotrek @chaos5399,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

Thanks for posting regarding Max's caption. In some cases, removing the channel and then reinstalling it may help. To ensure the process is successful, follow the steps below, making sure you restart your Roku device before adding the channel again.

• Remove the channel. Highlight the channel tile on your home screen and press the Star button on your Roku remote to open the Options menu. Select Remove channel and confirm.
  • Restart your Roku device: Home > Settings > System > Power. "If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step." System restart.
  • Reinstall the channel. Visit the Roku Channel Store and add the channel again.

Please keep us posted on how it goes!

Warm regards,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
chaos5399

Not perfect, but here's what happened. After running through the listed process, the "Miracle Workers" episode still refused to display CC (settings checks and toggling had no affect). I then resumed Big Bang Theory (S6 E23). CC was not working, but then I went to the CC setting within the MAX app and switched from "English" to "Spanish". The stream started to display Spanish subtitles. Toggled back to "English" without exiting the settings and CC continued to be displayed, but in English. Exited settings and CC continued to function. Backed out of BBT and resumed "Miracle Workers"  CC continued to function. I'll update again once the next episode auto starts. 

chaos5399

CC worked through the episode and quick when the next episode started. I backed out of the episode and resumed BBT episode...CC still functioned on that stream. Paused, backed out, and resumed the Miracle Workers episode and CC began functioning again. 

0 Kudos
chaos5399

Turned off "auto play next episode" in MAX app settings and that seems to have remedied losing CC between episodes.

0 Kudos
astrotrek
Reel Rookie

I decided to erase like factory reset on roku ultra. I reinstalled everything. it still have the same problem on MAX streaming with caption.  My roku ultra on LG TV 65.  I tested my xbox and computer on MAX streaming with caption and both work fine.   

I hope you can test your roku device on MAX streaming with caption for test.  Please let me know if it work with caption on MAX streaming.

thanks

Astrotrek

andyross
Roku Guru

The Max app was updated recently, so that could be the root of the issues. It's up to them as Roku doesn't write the apps. Also, WarnerDiscovery has had major back-end problems for a few weeks. They apparently are updating things and everything is messed up. You can see the threads about TCM Watchlists not working, and I have had issues with the TBS and TNT apps on both Roku and Fire TV.

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.