Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bluelazer
Reel Rookie

Re: I'm having the same issues that quite a few members are having today!

Once an App lockups (freezes) the EZ (for me) recovery seems doing a cache refresh using the home/up/</> reboot keyboard trick. If I try for example to remove Tubi App once it fails without clearing the cache - it can take minutes to uninstall in what what normally is a few seconds. Definitely an issue.

This is a fairly new Ultra and was working fine until last Tuesday evening when I first noticed the abnormal behaviors.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

I just tried a handful of channels on my Premiere 3920. This is my lowest performance Roku device, so if any of them would have issues it would be this one. I tried Pluto, Tubi, Hulu, The Roku Channel, and several others. They all worked as expected. 

Don't make any comparisons with other device platforms. It means nothing that your Fire TV or Apple TV works fine. They are all programmed in a different language and share nothing with the Roku platform. In many cases different platforms connect to different servers, so your Fire Stick is connecting to server A, which is working fine, while the Roku is connected to server B (possibly located in a completely different location) and that server is having problems. That also means you might be having a home network issue that is impacting the Roku but not the other device, or something is happening over the public Internet causing routing issues. Yes, I have seen that happen before, so it's a possibility. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
msb335pro
Binge Watcher

Again with the finger pointing, and the problem must be mine mentality. I'm having absolutely zero network issues, and neither are the apps in question on other devices. I'd still like to know when Roku finally decides to accept responsibility and start looking into this. 

atc98092

I'm not finger pointing at anyone. I'm saying how can Roku research a problem that doesn't exist for the vast majority of their users? The problem has to be able to be duplicated before any troubleshooting can begin. And if everything works on their test network, what can they look at? These devices are designed to work on what is expected to exist at the user's home. But it's impossible to replicate the limitless number of possible home networks within a test facility. I have done software testing on applications I created. Even through I try everything I can think of to trip the programs up, the users still find ways to break something. 

Providing Roku with a ID tracker number (press Home 5 times quickly then the Back button 5 times quickly) gives them at least a snapshot of your existing operating parameters of your Roku. Without that, they have nothing they can investigate. 

Again, apps on other devices that work have zero bearing on the same app on a Roku. It's a completely different operating system, and the app is written in a completely different language. It doesn't matter that they appear identical to the user. They are completely different apps.

Dan

0 Kudos
msb335pro
Binge Watcher

This is where it gets a little touchy for me.... I don't have the patience to continue dealing with a problem that wasn't there a few days ago, but is happening right now. The apps in question, I can easily watch on the Firestick, or even the Samsung tv. 

I'm not in love with the Roku if you know what I mean. It's under 30 days old, my sanity means a lot more to me than waiting on Roku to decide whether or not this is an issue worth looking into. My option right now is box it up and take it back... reason being zero compatibility and total lack of support. 

msb335pro
Binge Watcher

Also, you have at least a dozen or more people here with the same exact issue regarding the same exact apps. I'd hardly call that an isolated issue! 

atc98092

I completely understand your feelings about this. I'm only offering the difficultly troubleshooting potential software problems. And I have experienced issues completely outside my home network, or even under the control of my ISP, that was completely disrupting my streaming ability. All I can offer that Roku devices work just fine on the vast majority of their installed base locations.

That doesn't help you in the slightest, and I truly wish I could offer some sort of guidance. But there are simply too many variables to take into account, and I have no knowledge of what those variables even are for you. As I mentioned, the ID tracker number is the only tool Roku could use to begin any sort of troubleshooting. 

Dan

0 Kudos
atc98092

@msb335pro wrote:

Also, you have at least a dozen or more people here with the same exact issue regarding the same exact apps. I'd hardly call that an isolated issue! 

Again, I understand your position. But even two dozen people compared to the 10s of millions of installed devices, it really is isolated. Perhaps it's all tied to a specific ISP. Some ISPs have changed settings in their customer's router/modem without notifying the customer, and those changes caused issues for Roku devices (and other brands as well). 

Dan

0 Kudos
msb335pro
Binge Watcher

Christ, again with the everybody but Roku excuse.... If it were an isssue with my ISP, I'd experience the same situation no matter the device. 

My ISP didn't suddenly turn heel and is now blocking me from trying to enjoy a little online content. 

What's next, point my Roku south, out of direct sunlight, and elevated 3 inches from the base? 

I'm not coming down on you, but seriously, this need to be escalated.

atc98092

No, see my previous response about different platforms connecting to different services for the same provider. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.