Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LilNasty

How to watch local channels?

Jump to solution

How do I set up local channels? I have my antenna connected to my ROKU TV.

When I go to LIVE TV I see all the channels from across the country. Not my local broadcast channels. 

I went to the ROKU Community and saw some directions to do this:

Settings > TV Inputs > Live TV > Manage Channels > Hide streaming channels

...but after following these directions when I go back to LIVE TV I still get all the channels from across the country. I had to rescan the channels to get just my LOCAL broadcast channels.

When I go to LIVE TV I (again) lose my LOCAL channels and still only get all the channels from across the country. Also, I do not have a TV Guide of all my channels that are local for me. 

I had to follow the directions from the ROKU Community, then rescan my LOCAL Channels...but still loose them (again) when I go to LIVE TV. 

How do I get my list of LOCAL Channels to stay on LIVE TV...with a TV GUIDE of what to view. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: How to watch local channels?

Jump to solution

Hello! @mlvn,

Thank you for your question,

We appreciate your inquiry about how to watch local channels using your Roku device. We are happy to help.

Many Roku customers, especially cord-cutters, inquire about channels offering local news and weather. We're excited to inform you that there are now more options than ever before! 

Please check here for information on how to watch local channels and news on Roku devices.

Happy Streaming! 

Thanks,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

There should be a setting under Settings/Home screen that will put the Antenna TV icon on the home screen. It might get loaded at the bottom of the list, so you'd have to move it up so it can be seen without scrolling. I'm going from memory, as I haven't had a Roku TV in a number of years. Hopefully they didn't remove that from the settings. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

0 Kudos
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@dal28dal  On your Roku TV go to settings, system, power, and select Antenna TV as your power on channel.

16 REPLIES 16
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@LilNasty 

Go to Settings/TV Inputs.  Look under the "Unused Inputs" for "live tv".  This is the antenna/local/OTA input.

After you enable this input, go to Settings/TV Inputs  and highlight the Live TV.  Then select Rename and change LiveTV to Antenna.

Then go to your Home Screen and look for the "Antenna" tile on your Home Screen.  You will need to select this Antenna tile in order to watch your locals. 

If you select "Live TV" from the left hand side menu, you are actually selecting the Roku Streaming Channels.  You need to select the Antenna tile instead.  Roku made watching local channel unnecessarily confusing by labeling everything Live TV.  This is why I just find it easier to suggest renaming the OTA input to Antenna to keep things straight.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Co-tack

Jump to solution

Roku TV can't watch local channels live directly except pre- recorded news only.

0 Kudos
daveobieone
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I wish there was a solution for people who can't receive local channels via an OTA outside antenna!   I live in the mountains, and can't receive ANYTHING over the air at my location on any TV.  Everything is blocked by mountains. 

0 Kudos
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Co-tack Look at the post above yours.  If local channels are available in your area you can watch them on a Roku TV just like you can on any other TV.  Just select the antenna input as indicated..

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@Co-tack wrote:

Roku TV can't watch local channels live directly except pre- recorded news only.

That is not accurate. Any Roku TV that has an antenna connected to the F-Connector can receive any local station within reception range. The number of stations received will depend on 1) how many local stations there are and 2) the signal strength of the station you want to watch. Digital TV requires a minimum signal level for a watchable display. Anything below that minimum and you get nothing. Above that minimum you have a perfect picture. It's all or nothing with ATSC broadcasting.

Dan

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@daveobieone wrote:

I wish there was a solution for people who can't receive local channels via an OTA outside antenna!   I live in the mountains, and can't receive ANYTHING over the air at my location on any TV.  Everything is blocked by mountains. 

There used to be, but they got shut down by the networks. It is silly, but most stations are prohibited from streaming their live broadcasts. Your only option is probably satellite, or one of the online streaming TV providers (Sling, YouTube TV, Fubo TV, etc.) But those will still likely not carry every single broadcaster in your area.

Dan

0 Kudos
mlvn

Jump to solution

The is no antenna selection just the live tv I am confused

0 Kudos
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello! @mlvn,

Thank you for your question,

We appreciate your inquiry about how to watch local channels using your Roku device. We are happy to help.

Many Roku customers, especially cord-cutters, inquire about channels offering local news and weather. We're excited to inform you that there are now more options than ever before! 

Please check here for information on how to watch local channels and news on Roku devices.

Happy Streaming! 

Thanks,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
dal28dal
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Can you put Antennae TV on the home screen so I don’t have to navigate to it every time I want to watch?

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.