Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Moleman_X
Binge Watcher

Re: How to turn off Continue Watching section?

Even if it is part of the Roku OS, it should be possible to hide it so it won't display (VERY simple coding issue).  Some of the reasons posted here should be sounding alarm bells, Roku!  Privacy concerns might be actionable under civil law.

Kerz58

I guess its time to go firestick. Rokus stop listening and thinks they know best. If it isn’t broke don’t fix it. 

keithx13
Streaming Star

Yup.  Sad that Roku is going in the direction that they are.  I am speculating here, but it would be much easier for Roku to charge streaming services for displaying their shows on the Home screen if the shows cannot be hidden.   This level of intrusive behavior apparently has a value to Roku higher than customer satisfaction is worth.

I currently have three Roku streaming stick+ devices.  I’m sure that it is just a coincidence, but one of them quit working the day after my last post in this thread.  I kid you not.

I too would like to "turn off" the continue watching feature.  It is not helpful and annoying for our family.

It would be nice if developers would just leave the interface alone.  In my opinion, the TV is an appliance where reliability is paramount and changing the UI just frustrates the long term user.

RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi Community users,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

The "Continue Watching" feature on the Roku home screen is part of the Roku Operating System; thus, removing it is impossible. Please be advised that some publishers control what constitutes content completion (for example, end credits are shown). Once the arrangement has been completed, the channel makes a delete request to remove the content from the Continue Watching row.

For more information on this feature's functionality, you can check it out here.

All the best,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Hennyfilms
Binge Watcher

Is it really that difficult to give users the option to HIDE the continue watching from the homepage? 🤦‍♂️

Metsin86

Totally agree. This needs to be removed. I would not by another Roku tv if this remains. 

Ezrway
Binge Watcher

I found a way to get rid of the "Continue Watching" section. I got rid of my Roku and am now using a Google Chromecast. It's Fantastic!

AloyHZD
Reel Rookie

Impossible??? LOL

Or wait, are Roku’s software engineers REALLY that incompetent?

Of course they aren’t. Roku needs to stop lying about it being impossible to fix. We weren’t born yesterday! Forced violations of our privacy are bad enough, but then Roku feels the need to insult our intelligence as well.

Stay classy, Roku. 🙄

Now, back to looking into alternatives to Roku… Who knew that after cutting the cord I’d have to start looking to cut Roku!?

(I say Roku deliberately, because their reps didn’t make the decision and are only telling us what Roku wants them to tell us.)

keithx13
Streaming Star

You said everything that I was just about to, AloyHZD!

Seriously, after 1 of our 3 Roku streaming stick+ devices died last week, I decided to look at alternatives to Roku.  The biggest reason wasn’t that Roku has changed these devices in ways that make them more cumbersome to use.  It was the lies.

For the last 3 days I have been using an ONN Google TV device that is less than $20 at Walmart.  It has 4K capability, but our TVs are only 1080p, so I can't comment on the better display.  It lacks the Roku media player app which is great for streaming movies directly from a computer to your Roku.  It has a Firestick type home screen (which is full of things that I don’t want and the reason that I previously loved Roku’s apps only home screen).  But if Roku won’t tell us the truth about Continue Watching, it is probably safe to assume that the Roku home screen will get increasingly crowded with useless information and ads as Roku finds ways to monetize new (unwanted) features.  Oh, and despite it’s shortcomings, the ONN player works great and responds very quickly.

Update on the ONN streaming device:  after a month of use, the device slowed down considerably.  I subsequently got rid of all the unwanted apps and things improved.  There are a couple of apps that cannot be removed, such as Netflix, but I was able to delete things that I don’t subscribe to like Disney+, Hulu, Crackle, and many more.  On the positive side, the device has an “Apps only” mode which hides all of the recommended shows including what Roku calls “Continue Watching”.  🙂  On the negative side, after about 4 weeks of use, Google decided that I should sign up and pay for Google1.  I get notifications on my phone now at least every other day.  Google decided not to give me an option to just decline, but only to clear the notification temporarily.  And then pop it up the next day or the day after.  🙁  So thank you Roku for promising to give us the ability to hide “Continue Watching”.  We would still love the ability to disable it altogether, though, if you can.

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.