Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How to turn off Continue Watching section?

Please do send the feedback over! It's ugly and some shows will not delete no matter how many times I try. We have one Roku show stuck in there and it will not delete. 

Every other homepage feature has an option to hide it. This one needs it as well.

Hennyfilms
Binge Watcher

They just need to add a simple show/hide option for this. It never should have been put on the top of the channels on our homepage in the first place. Several people in my household watch on Roku TVs in different rooms and the shows FROM DIFFERENT accounts in different channels are ALL being listed there on everyone else's TV. How is this even a thing? 

Michael-Alan
Binge Watcher

What?  Turn off the Band Width Saver?  To remove the "Continue Watching" on the Home Page?  You are giving very bad information.

Michael-Alan
Binge Watcher

A REAL PRIVACY CONCERN

I too would like to turn off the "Continue Watching" on the Home Page.  The way it is now is creating a PRIVACY issue.  I do not want others within my home to see what others have been watching. Who is in charge of the developers at Roku and why didn't they take the privacy issue into consideration before having an unremovable feature added to the Roku Home Page.

Even if I wanted this feature (and I don't) the location of the "Continue Watching" at the top of the Home Page is a very poor design. It should be located further down on the Roku Home Page.

Hennyfilms
Binge Watcher

Even when selecting "Remove from Continue Watching" (with the * button) a lot of these shows aren't deleting. Even when I go to that channel and finish watching it to try to clear it, it still stays on the contibue watching section above my channels on the homepage. Then when someone in their own private channel account watches something it immediately gets added to EVERY SINGLE Roku TV we own. Seriously a BAD privacy issue. 

RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi Community users!

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community!

The "Continue Watching" feature on the Roku home screen is part of the Roku Operating System. Currently, there isn't an option to remove this feature. Kindly be advised that some publishers control what constitutes content completion (for example, end credits are shown). Once the arrangement has been completed, the channel makes a delete request to remove the content from the Continue Watching row.
For more information on this feature's functionality, you can check it out here.

We hope for your understanding regarding this.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
keithx13
Streaming Star

Thank you Kash.  The link is handy.  But I do have a couple of follow up questions.

The information states:  Continue Watching is a content category row within the What to Watch home screen navigation, displaying content from participating channels that customers have already started watching.  This appears to be a mistake.  I have "What to Watch" hidden, but "Continue Watching" is still displayed.  "Continue Watching" is, therefore, not being controlled under the "What to Watch" umbrella.

Another area of interest is listed as Managing user consent, which says:

If publishers require explicit consent from customers before adding their watched content to the Continue Watching row, it is the publisher's responsibility to implement this. Roku does not provide any mechanisms or APIs for handling user consent for the Continue Watching integration. 

I have not been asked for permission from any to the streaming services to add this content to the Roku Home screen.  Yet at least three of them are populating this field on my Rokus.

I think the biggest take away for me is that, once again, Roku has changed the way that devices that I paid for operate, without my permission, and in ways that make the devices less user friendly.  I highly recommend that Roku rethink this practice and allow "Continue Watching" to be hidden.

RISE_1
Channel Surfer

I'm also disappointed and annoyed with this "continue watching" section being so prominently displayed, while completely unwanted, with no way to change it. It mostly shows programs that I've already finished watching so it creates an aggravating experience by cluttering the homescreen with completely useless information. I never wanted this and I don't want everyone on the device seeing everything that anyone else has watched. Please add a way to hide this nonsense. 

RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi Community users!

Thanks for posting about your inquiry here in the Roku Community!

We appreciate your feedback regarding the experience you had with the "Continue Watching" feature. We value your feedback, and we'll definitely share this with the appropriate Roku team for review.

if there's anything we can further assist you with aside from this, please let us know.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jus the option to hide it, that is all! Thank you.

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.