Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jimrk
Reel Rookie

How do I view WNBA games?

I subscribe to WNBA monthly. 
p5.JPGI attempted to view a game in progress but it brought me to a screen that made no sense. Why would I log on to Fubo or Sling?  I arrived at this screen in two ways: 1. By searching for WNBA, and 2. by way of Women's Sports Zone.  I need to get this resolved because more games are coming up.

20240923_130837.jpg

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: How do I view WNBA games?

Welcome, and thank you for posting here in the Roku Community, @jimrk!

Thanks for reaching out and informing us about your concern in accessing the WNBA directly. We'd be happy to share further information about this.

It seems like the WNBA has changed its policies and now requires a TV provider for streaming. In this case, we highly suggest directly coordinating this with the channel provider for further clarification as they manage and maintain their app on the Roku streaming platform independently.

You may reach them here: WNBA Support

We hope you find this information helpful.

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

@jimrk @RokuCarly I have the WNBA League Pass and a TV provider.   To my knowledge the policy has not changed.  However the League Pass clearly states "In the U.S., certain nationally televised games (currently, those on ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, CBS, CBS Sports Network and Prime Video) are not available live on WNBA League Pass."  When I click on a game that is on ABC, ESPN, etc.. it tells me what provider it is on.  I have never been able to watch a game on League Pass that was nationally televised but I didn't care because I just went to the channel the game was on and watched there.  

jimrk
Reel Rookie

Thank you Carly and HDMI person.  But I have to ask, what is the purpose of having Roku again?  So often when I want to watch an event I have to spend a lot of time and money trying to figure out how to get connected and then handing out more money for a TV provider or some "service". I really thought Roku was going to help bypass this mess.

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi, @jimrk.

Thanks for responding. 

Although Roku offers free content, most apps on the Roku streaming platform are maintained independently by the channel providers. Therefore, we recommend contacting the service provider directly for further assistance and clarification.

We hope this will be sorted out soon.

Regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

@jimrk I use Roku devices as a way to stream content from other providers.  I have several Roku devices, an Apple TV streaming device, three chromecast with Google TV devices, and a Firestick streaming device.  Roku devices for me have been inexpensive and dependable streaming devices.  The Roku channel does offer several free channels but little or no live sports.  For NFL football, MLB baseball, WNBA basketball,  NBA basketball, NCAA football, etc.... you either need a TV provider (Roku is not a TV provider) and/or a subscription to one or more services such as Peacock, Amazon Prime, ESPN +.   The fact that Roku does provide free channels has led to a somewhat common belief that buying a Roku would provide free access to NFL, NBA, WNBA, etc.....   

This is not intended to be a commercial but I have three TCL Roku TV's that were inexpensive and function as expected.  I have an elderly friend with a cable box connected to a Roku TV which works great for him as it allows him to access his networks by number on a cable box and also stream games that are on Peacock, Amazon Prime, and ESPN+ all three of which he subscribes to.  I have an Apple TV streaming device on my 65 inch main TV.  The Apple device is faster than Roku and very easy to use but it cost four times as much as my Roku devices.  

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

Purpose of having a Roku?  I got mine entirely to watch The Grand Tour.  (On Amazon Prime, which I was already paying for for the shipping anyway.)

Everything else has just been a bonus.

I do watch most sports on Dish Network.  Frankly, with a little flexibility, either Roku or Dish can supply more TV than I can realistically watch, but I like the luxury of too much TV.

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.