Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BuckeyeFan9476
Binge Watcher

How do I update Disney Plus on my smart TV?

Jump to solution

About a month ago or so, my Disney+ app stopped working on my TCL Roku smart TV. The app works fine on all my other devices (PS4, cell phone and even my Roku USB stick) but for some reason the app has not updated to the latest version available on the Roku smart TV.

Every time I try to launch it, it tells me I need to update the app, but every time I try updating it, it says it's already updated to the latest version (which it is not). I've tried every troubleshooting method available and nothing has worked.

I've deleted the app, cleared my cache and reinstalled the app. I've even done a complete factory reset of the TV. No matter what I do, the app will not update to the latest version available. I've called Disney+ multiple times and nothing they suggest works. Any tips, tricks or advice is welcome because I don't know what else to do.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Disney+ not updating. Please Help

Jump to solution

Try disconnecting it from wired/wireless, and see if that option appears:

1) Use the network connection reset:  Settings/System/Advanced system settings/Network connection reset

2) After it restarts, go to Settings/System/System update/I cant connect

(In order for the "I cant connect" option to appear, it cannot be connected to your network/the internet)

Otherwise, call/contact the manufacturer.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
20 REPLIES 20
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Try this:

1. Remove the app.
  2. Reboot the Roku.
  3. Reinstall the app.

All three steps, in that order. Did that make a difference?

If not, try this:

1. Remove the app.
  2. Reboot the Roku.
  3. Go to https://channelstore.roku.com/details/e093bdb60bb2a48289cd5d3c89b3b140/disney-plus and add the app that way.
  4. Reboot the Roku again.

Again, all the steps in that order. Did that make a differeence?

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
makaiguy

Jump to solution

Note that in the steps @DBDukes suggested, "rebooting" the set is necessary.  Merely turning a Roku TV off and back on does not fully reboot the set.  You need to do a full system restart. 

Starting from the Roku home screen, the menu path is Settings > System > Power > System restart.

As an alternative, you can pull the power plug for a few seconds than plug it back in.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
BuckeyeFan9476
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Yeah, as I stated in my original post, I've already done that multiple times. I even did a complete factory reset of the TV itself which wipes out all the apps. All my other apps work fine but no matter how many times or how many different methods I try in regards to deleting and reinstalling Disney+ it never updates to the latest version 

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@BuckeyeFan9476 wrote:

Yeah, as I stated in my original post, I've already done that multiple times. ...

No, that's not what you wrote. A factory reset does remove the apps from the device, but that isn't the same thing as removing the app, rebooting the Roku, then reinstalling the app. And, that's not the same thing as removing the app, rebooting the Roku, adding the app via the Website, rebooting the Roku. So, no, you actually didn't say that you did those two things.

That second thing I suggested, that included reboots in steps 2 and 4, is a little different. And, it has worked for others in the past. This doesn't mean it will resolve your issue. But, you haven't tried it. Nothing that you've said you did does exactly the same thing this does. So, once again, I'm suggesting you try it.

As I said, it may not work, but you won't know until you try it. And, just to be clear, turning the TV off and on is not the same thing as a reboot. Go through the reboot process @makaiguy suggested, when you do steps 2 and 4. And do them in order, don't overlap. That is, don't even start step 3 until step 2 is complete. And don't start step 4 until step 3 is complete.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@BuckeyeFan9476 

What is the current firmware version+build of your Roku TV?   Settings/System/About

What is the current version+build of your Disney+ app?  Highlight Disney+/Options (*)/Version+build

0 Kudos
BuckeyeFan9476
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@StreamerUser  Roku TV software version 9.3.0 build 4175-93.  Disney+ Version 1.11 build 2021021200. In my talks with Disney+ tech support we've established that my current version of the app is not the latest version available but as previously stated, no matter what troubleshooting steps I've taken, it will not update to the latest version 

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@BuckeyeFan9476 

What is your Roku TV model #?  Settings/System/About

Your Roku TV software is out of date too (over a year old), and is the likely reason Disney+ wont update.

Try updating your Roku TV software:  Settings/System/System update/Check now

If that doesnt work, try the USB updater:

https://tvupdate.roku.com/index?p=select

0 Kudos
BuckeyeFan9476
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@StreamerUser I've tried updating my TV several times and it always says it's up to date. According to the TV itself it last updated on Wednesday August 1st. I'll try the USB update method and if that doesn't work, I'll try calling the TV manufacturer directly 

0 Kudos
C_I
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@BuckeyeFan9476 wrote:

About a month ago or so, my Disney+ app stopped working on my TCL Roku tv. The app works fine on all my other devices(PS4, cell phone and even my roku USB stick) but for some reason the app has not updated to the latest version available on the Roku tv. Every time I try to launch it, it tells me I need to update the app, but every time I try updating it, it says it's already updated to the latest version(which it is not). I've tried every troubleshooting method available and nothing has worked. I've deleted the app, cleared my cache and reinstalled the app. I've even done a complete factory reset of the TV. No matter what I do, the app will not update to the latest version available. I've called Disney+ multiple times and nothing they suggest works. Any tips, tricks or advice is welcome because I don't know what else to do.

Whether or not Disney + updates is not  any of Roku's concern.  Roku does not own, manage or operate Disney +. Contact Disney for these answers. 

0 Kudos