Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lol-47
Reel Rookie

How do I turn YouTube captions on?

Jump to solution

I try to press down but it goes to related videos.. press side arrow and it jumps forward. Help?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: How do I turn YouTube captions on?

Jump to solution

Hi @lol-47,

Thanks for keeping us posted!

This is an easy fix! Once you've played a video on YouTube, press down on your Roku remote and press up again. This will take you to the title information while the video is playing. Afterward, press the right button all the way to the gear icon and press OK. You will be directed to Settings, where you can select the "Caption" option to turn it on. The captions should now appear after these steps have been performed.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @lol-47,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We understand that you're having a problem with your YouTube channel since it will not turn on the captions. We're happy to help. Please follow these steps:

1. Press Home on your Roku remote.
  2. Scroll and select Settings.
  3. To open the Captions menu, select Accessibility. If Accessibility is not listed, select Captions.
  4. Select caption mode and choose when captions appear.
    • Off-captions never appear.
    • On always – captions always appear (when available from the service provider). When service providers use their own settings, closed captions are activated within their channels.

If the problem still persists, you can try to select the subtitles and closed captions found at the bottom right of the screen when you play any content or videos.

Please keep us posted on what you find out.

All the best,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
lol-47
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

My issue is not finding the caption button. It is figuring out how to press it. I press down and it takes me to recommended videos. I press any side and it jumps ahead or behind like 10 seconds. My brother somehow got them to turn on for one video but they’re back off and he doesn’t know how he did it. I tried turning them to always on in settings, but it doesn’t work. Thank you for the copy-pasted general “caption issues” reply though I guess

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @lol-47,

Thanks for keeping us posted!

This is an easy fix! Once you've played a video on YouTube, press down on your Roku remote and press up again. This will take you to the title information while the video is playing. Afterward, press the right button all the way to the gear icon and press OK. You will be directed to Settings, where you can select the "Caption" option to turn it on. The captions should now appear after these steps have been performed.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
lol-47
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you!

0 Kudos
kikiB

Jump to solution

Thank you. This worked very well.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.