Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
filoudidou
Reel Rookie

Free stuff in Canada isn't working

Jump to solution

I have a streaming stick that I take on vacation in hotels. It works perfecly well and I can watch free stuff on The Roku Channel. When I come back to Canada, all the free stuff isn't working and nothing works on The Roku Channel. Is it that we can't have free stuff in Canada? If so, you should have write it somewhere! 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Free stuff in Canada isn't working

Jump to solution

@filoudidou, if you travel between Canada and another country you will have issues with your Roku account.  Many things are tied to the region of your Roku account and using an account created in the US in Canada (or vice versa) will only cause problems.  The solution is to have one Roku account created in Canada and another in whatever other region you may travel to.  Unfortunately, the only way to change the Roku account the device is linked to is to factory reset the device.  If you travel often, it's probably easier to have a different device and Roku account for each region.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
atc98092

Jump to solution

I believe TRC is only available in the US. Roku has to license the content they provide, and those contracts restrict them to US distribution only. 

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
filoudidou
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

So, they'll have to write somewhere that the free stuff isn't available in Canada! 

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

Actually I have to take that back. It's available in the US, Canada and the UK. You are probably running into the problem of using a Roku that the user account is registered in one country and trying to use it in a different location. They block a lot of that, although in this case I'm not certain why they would.

https://support.roku.com/en-ca/article/360007223934#!

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

@filoudidou, if you travel between Canada and another country you will have issues with your Roku account.  Many things are tied to the region of your Roku account and using an account created in the US in Canada (or vice versa) will only cause problems.  The solution is to have one Roku account created in Canada and another in whatever other region you may travel to.  Unfortunately, the only way to change the Roku account the device is linked to is to factory reset the device.  If you travel often, it's probably easier to have a different device and Roku account for each region.

I am not a Roku employee.
filoudidou
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I create a new account yesterday with another email address and now, it works. I now have a Roku to travel to the US and a Roku at home. It's weird but it's working! 

RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, @filoudidou.

Thank you for keeping us updated. We're glad to hear that everything has been sorted out. 

For future assistance, feel free to reach out or create a new thread for different concerns. We'd be happy to help you anytime. 

I hope you continue to have a Happy Streaming! 💜

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.