I don't have easy access to that info because the devices are in a vacation rental (where I am not).
However, I can tell you that it has absolutely nothing to do with device type, version, firmware, etc because I've tested it on at least 4 different devices and they all behave the same. So providing that info is a waste of everyone's time.
As I noted previously, what it does have everything to do with is the roku account that the device is associated with. When I log any one of those 4 devices into "account A", the problem is 100% reproducible. But if I remove the device from account A and log into "account B", the problem goes away.
If you want info on those 2 accounts I'm testing with so you investigate what is different about them, let me know. I think that would be a more fruitful effort.