Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MadDad1970

Do you allow to install a third party apk file?

Jump to solution

I wanted the streambar so I could install apps but you can't so I am going to get rid of it and stick with my tivo stream 4k.

I got the streambar two days ago and I hate it so it's gone.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Strega2
Roku Guru

Re: Do you allow to install a third party apk file?

Jump to solution

You can install apps.  But with every OS, you install apps for that OS.  If you want to install apps for some other OS, you’re better off buying that OS!

Banned but back. Because why not?

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Strega2
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

You can install apps.  But with every OS, you install apps for that OS.  If you want to install apps for some other OS, you’re better off buying that OS!

Banned but back. Because why not?
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

The only apps that can be installed on a Roku device is what is available in the Roku Channel Store. You cannot install APK files because those are for Android, and Roku uses a heavily modified version of Linux. There's no known way to install 3rd party apps on a Roku. You cannot "jailbreak" a Roku device.

There used to be a way to install "private" channels, but Roku did away with it because too many were used for viewing content illegally. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.