Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pammy369
Channel Surfer

Dish remote no longer turns on volume or turn TV off - TCL 6

Roku update issue? First volume quit then on/off for tv.

27 REPLIES 27
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Dish remote no longer turns on volume or turn TV off - TCL 6

There's lots of reports of this.  I can't even imagine how Roku could have screwed up remote controls with their updates, but that's Roku for you.  Look in the Roku TV section of the "community" for suggestions of other codes to try on your remote.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

@Pammy369 Try codes for Insignia TV

0 Kudos
Pammy369
Channel Surfer

Tried, no success. Lots of codes listed, I used the four digit universal codes with no success. It's obvious the TV isn't receiving the Dish remote signal. There was reference to this possibly being an update issue that lots of people have reported, if so, what does Roku have to say? This has been a problem now for about three weeks.

RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Pammy369,

We're sorry for the inconvenience. We've made a report about this recently, and our engineering team is currently looking into this case.

Please share with us the brand model and the serial of your remote. We'll be able to pass it along with the right team.

Thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Pammy369
Channel Surfer

Thanks for replying, ERey,

It's a Dish remote 20.1 IR. I have a VIP222K dual Dish receiver. Around 10/20/23 early in the AM I lost volume control with the Dish remote, then several hours later, I lost on/off for the TV. I had to use the Roku remote for volume and on/off. We were out of town until around 11-1-23. I posted here shortly after that.

I ran through all the troubleshooting I could find on my own, with no success, I suspected the Dish TV 1 receiver had a problem, even brought an additional Dish 20.1 IR remote from a friends VIP222K, which worked on their TCL-5 TV, with Roku, and it didn't solve the problem. So I called Dish and ran through the T/S procedures, they were convinced it was the receiver and sent me a new one. Set it up and I still couldn't control TV on/off or volume. So it wasn't the receiver. So now what?

Now it gets better.....that friend who has the VIP222k receiver just like mine, hadn't been used since we were away. Turned the TV on, everything was fine, remote worked for volume and on/off. I checked on the update date and it said the last update was 5-20-23 or somewhere around that......It said I should update, so updated the TV and suddenly the TV on/off-volume wasn't working. That was 1-9-23.

Now two TCL's with Roku have to use the Roku remote for volume and on/off.

This is where we're at. I had a reply where someone said they had heard of this problem several times. I hope someone is going to fix it.

Thanks,

Pammy369

RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for getting back to us, @Pammy369!

We'll communicate this to the appropriate Roku team for further investigation. We'll make sure to get back here once we have an available update.

Thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
tk6
Channel Surfer

I have the same issue.  And it's almost every button that stopped working, not just the power and volume ones.  Code 535 for TCL TVs used to work previously.  This issue started right after upgrading the TV from software release 12.0 to 12.5.0.

As a workaround, one can learn all the buttons except the power button from the original TV remote into the Dish 21.0 remote.  Dish remotes cannot learn the TV power button, but one can program some other button as a TV power button for now.  Just need to remember to use that one to power the TV off and on.

Hope another software update is released to fixed this, as none of the other TV codes work.

RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @tk6,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

Our team is aware of this issue and currently investigating this. I'll make sure to update this with the appropriate Roku team.

Once we have information available, we'll forward an update here.

Thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
jjlash
Reel Rookie

Just chiming in to say "me too".  Have two TCL/Roku TVs that both worked perfectly with the Dish 21.0 RF remote (code 535) before the 12.5 update.  Now both do not work. 

Not related to the remote, but also notice that the TVs seem very slow to start up and slow to move around the menus using the Roku remote since the update. 

Please let us roll back to the v12 software until you figure it out.

0 Kudos