Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Commercials Pre-empt show

Trying to watch Fox2 Detroit Local News and instead I am in UFO Cowboys/SushiMaster/Emeril **bleep**. These commercials repeat and repeat while the news broadcast is not played. 15 minutes into the news broadcast and still no news.

How can this get fixed?

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
steve111
Binge Watcher

Re: Commercials Pre-empt show

I am having the exact same problem with KTVU Fox Channel 2 San Francisco/Oakland.  Get nothing but Roku programming commercials repeating over and over and over and over.  Worked fine up until about 3 days ago when this problem developed.

0 Kudos
Dfresh567
Roku Guru

Re: Commercials Pre-empt show

@steve111 @Tollivergirl 

Thanks for sharing and I agree what your described does sound very frustrating. In fact about a year ago I had the same thing happen to me and I did a little diging into why this might be happening.

The first thing I learnt is that the streaming channel absolutely does not want this to be happening and many time they are unaware. The advertiser does not want you seeing an add so many times you would never want to buy the product.

These are the idea I could think of that could help you situation

- The best option I can think of is continuing doing what you are doing. Make a streaming channel aware that this is occurring. You could go to their social media pages and leave a comment letting them know. I'm sure this is something they want to correct

- The next option isn't as ideal due to the the fact there's a cost component to it. I myself probably wouldn't feel the cost would justify the correction but moving to ad-free streaming services across the board. Or the paid version of any type of channel this kind of add issue is occurring.

- Lastly and I'm 100% sure this will fix your issue but still interesting to know about and you may want to take a look. First go into setting and scroll down to Privacy, from there find advertising. In the area you have some control in terms on your advertising experience on your Roku and this is where you would go if you wanted to make any changes.

I hope the issue is fixed for you both and anyone else who is experiencing this same issue.

Best of luck. Let us know what ends up happening or if the issue is fixed.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.