Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rpherbst

Cannot deactivate annoying voice assistant

A loud and distracting female voice announces every process between the remote and the TV.  I can't find any way to exit it. If there is a command to do that, I would appreciate knowing it.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
AeroSpaceTech
Roku Guru

Re: Cannot deactivate annoying voice assistant

Press the * button 4x. You turned on screen reader 

0 Kudos
rpherbst

Thank you.  I will try that.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@rpherbst--

A feature called Screen Reader (renamed from Audio Guide in Roku version 10.5) announces where you are in the Roku menus for the benefit of the visually impaired. At some point you may have hit the * key four times in a short period of time. This is a shortcut that toggles the Screen Reader / Audio Guide feature on and off, so four quick presses of the * key should toggle the this feature back off.

To deactivate the four-* trigger shortcut altogether use menu path Settings > Accessibility > Shortcut (in the Screen Reader or Audio Guide section) > Disabled

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @white2,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We will be more than happy to assist you further with this concern that you have. Please go to Settings > Accessibility > Shortcut (in the Screen Reader or Audio Guide section) > Disabled.

If you need anything else, please let us know.

All the best,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos