Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KJ73

Cannot access channels internationally or in Carribbean

I bought a roku stick for one of my tvs. I was thoroughly disappointed with the channel list accessed internationally. All the free stations like freevee and pluto even the roku channel which is attached to my roku stick I can't even access. AND I HAVE A ROKU STICK AND CANT EVEN ACCESS THE ROKU CHANNEL !!!!!!.  can only be viewed in the US which I've been visiting for a few months now. This was a waste of my money. The channels accessed on the Caribbean are so useless. 

I am so turned off of Roku. 

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Strega2
Roku Guru

Cannot access channels internationally or in Carribbean

Roku as an investment doesn’t look that awful.  Ie: $26/share in 2017, $106/share today.  Of course, someone who bought during its pandemic bump, might be a little disappointed.  (But this applies to so many story/event stocks.)  By the way, I only invest in broad index funds, myself, and the above is not investment advice!  😀

[Edit: OK, it looks like someone - OP? Roku? edited out the investment part of the thread title.]

On the other hand, if you just mean the little gizmo, well, when has international TV easy?  Countries used to design their TV standards to be intentionally incompatible with neighboring countries to keep the TV within their borders.  Then disc formats had regions, and now, so does streaming.

As for the Roku channel (and other advertising-based channels), there would be no reason for them to stream it to locations where they haven’t lined up appropriate advertising deals.  Like everything else in video, it’s all about the money, and if you’re not paying for it, they have to find someone who will.  Roku still has around 170 countries left in which they haven’t gotten those deals in place.

Banned but back. Because why not?
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.