Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SmilingBob
Streaming Star

Can't run any channel on all channels

I just got my stick+ 3810 out for summer vacation (used very little), and plugged it in.  Firmware was still on 11.5, so did a software update and everything went great.  Tried to go into a channel, and bam - got this same message you guys had.  No channels work, exact same message as in OP pictures.  I tried changing networks, tried factory reset, nothing worked.  I commandeered one of our trusty Roku2 units from a guest bedroom and it will be on vacation duty for now, but sure would like to know what is going on with this stick.  I have 4 other Rokus in the house and they all work fine except this one.  Any ideas from those who've tread this ground before?

Edit:  I originally posted in an original, associated thread, but my submission was moved to it's own topic.  Issue photos and commentary are here:  https://community.roku.com/t5/Discussions/Can-t-run-any-channel-on-all-channels/m-p/846082/highlight...

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Can't run any channel on all channels

Hi @SmilingBob,

Thanks for posting here at the Roku Community!

We appreciate you for reaching us here regarding this matter. No worries, we're here to find you the best resolution possible.

May we know how close your Roku streaming stick is to your router? Have you already rebooted your wireless network? 

Try to remove a specific app that is not working, perform a system reboot, then add the channel again to see if that will work. Follow the steps provided below to help you:

• Remove the app: press Home > Highlight the channel you want to remove > press Star* > select Remove channel
  • Perform a system reboot: press Home > Settings > System > System restart
  • Re-install the app: press Home > select Store > Select Channel, look for the channel you want to add > select Add channel.

In addition, you can also try connecting your Roku streaming stick to the 2.4 GHz band of your wireless network or connect it to a mobile hotspot if available.

Keep us posted on how it goes and we'd be more than happy to assist you further with this.

All the best,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
SmilingBob
Streaming Star

Hi Carly, as you'll notice from my original post, I've already undertaken the steps you mention.  This includes a full factory reset of the stick, which did not help.  This issue started when I updated the firmware from 11.5 to 12, and now the stick is basically bricked.  I went into the secret menu and reinstalled the firmware, and this did not alleviate the problem.  I am an IT guy and a power-user, there is nothing in the support-script I haven't tried and nothing has worked to bring this stick back.  It would be really nice if Roku would allow us to regress to the previous firmware for cases like this one, and I know it's been asked for many times.  I remember Roku allowed this when (I think it was) OS10 (or 10.5) which didn't play nice with some older models.

Looks like I am not the only who has had this issue in the past:

https://community.roku.com/t5/Discussions/Can-t-run-any-channel-on-all-channels/m-p/846082/highlight...

https://community.roku.com/t5/Channels-viewing/Can-t-Run-Channel-Error-Message/td-p/845462

Solution:  https://community.roku.com/t5/Channels-viewing/Can-t-Run-Channel-Error-Message/m-p/846115#M130407

https://community.roku.com/t5/Channels-viewing/can-t-run-channel-errormessage/td-p/814775

etc.

No idea what needs to be done on your end, but it's obviously an issue that will need to be addressed for a "small subset" of us with a firmware fix, like in the past.  Will patiently await a fix unless you have another idea.  Thanks. 

0 Kudos
SmilingBob
Streaming Star

Interesting new development - I just turned on the stick again this morning, and now it works.  Earlier, I was getting the same message, now it works.  Nothing changed on my end, but it's working now so problem solved. 

I would really appreciate it if the message could be sent that an option to go back to the previous firmware could be PERMANENTLY enabled for all Roku devices when a new version is pushed.  This would not only alleviate a ton of user headaches, but would free up a lot of needless support tickets as well.  Thanks for your assistance.

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @SmilingBob,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We're glad that your issue was resolved. Thank you for allowing us to assist you.

Also, thanks for the suggestion. However, we currently don't have any information to share. Feel free to keep an eye on our blog for future announcements or updates. We hope to expand with more features to provide our customers with the best streaming experience!

If you have further queries, don't hesitate to contact us!

Best regards,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.