Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Clickseffect
Binge Watcher

Can't play FREE content from the Roku channel

I have a roku express and i can't play any of the free content on the Roku channel.

When clicking to play, the screen just refreshes.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

28 REPLIES 28
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Can't play FREE content from the Roku channel

Hi @Clickseffect,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

Does this happen on all movies/shows on The Roku channel or just specific titles? Could you please provide specific content/titles?  How long has the issue been occurring?

Try removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote, and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channel back once more.

Please let us know and we'll continue assisting you from there.

Regards,
Mary

Clickseffect
Binge Watcher

I only noticed this yesterday. I've been using Netflix till now but i was curious what's on Roku.

All the titles that i've tried failed. 

Nothing plays. Even when i click the * for more info it doesn't do anything.

Tried your suggestion of deleting, restarting and adding the channel again. No luck.

Can it be because i'm in Romania?

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@Clickseffect wrote:

Can it be because i'm in Romania?

Absolutely!

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Clickseffect
Binge Watcher

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for the follow up, @Clickseffect.

Currently, our free, ad-supported content on The Roku Channel is only available on your Roku streaming player or Roku TV in Canada, the United Kingdom, and the United States, plus via your web browser.

Please keep us posted if you need further assistance or clarification.

Regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
Sheplus3
Reel Rookie

I am in the US and have a Roku TV and premiere and I get the “cannot access program” on both devices for ALL Roku channel items. The Roku channel plays on my phone but not the devices. I’ve updated the system, restarted, uninstalled and reinstalled the app.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Sheplus3,

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku Community. I'd be happy to take a closer look to see how we can help get you up and running.

Can you please provide more information about the issue you are experiencing? Does the issue only occur on The Roku channel or all channels on your Roku device? Please cite specific content title examples that you have tried to play in The Roku Channel that is experiencing an issue so we can help investigate this further.

In addition, have you followed the basic troubleshooting steps accordingly by restarting the Roku after removing the channel and before adding the channel back?

Please keep us posted.

Regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
Clickseffect
Binge Watcher

That's not fun Mary. Not at all.

Lumpkin126
Reel Rookie

Hi I’m currently experiencing this same issue. I’m in the United States, I’ve done the troubleshooting as suggested, all my other apps work. Roku Channel won’t all me to play any of its content. Has been happening for a few days now.