Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
terwyne
Reel Rookie

Re: Can't play FREE content from the Roku channel

Me too, same issue, all free channels (including Roku) will only stream for about 30 minutes before the device (Express 4K) reboots.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@Lumpkin126 wrote:

Hi I’m currently experiencing this same issue. I’m in the United States, I’ve done the troubleshooting as suggested, all my other apps work. Roku Channel won’t all me to play any of its content. Has been happening for a few days now. 

What error message are you getting?

Try reinstalling The Roku Channel app:

1) Remove the app (Highlight the app, press the Options (*) button on the remote, then Remove)

2) RESTART the Roku (Settings/System/System restart/Restart) <-- MUST DO THIS HERE!!!

3) Re-install the app

(If you dont restart after removal, settings/cached data associated with the app are left behind and it wont be a clean re-install)

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@terwyne wrote:

Me too, same issue, all free channels (including Roku) will only stream for about 30 minutes before the device (Express 4K) reboots.

You have a very different issue from the OP.

If this only happens on free content/apps (content with ads), it may be related to ad playback/code libraries.  Verify that it doesnt happen for subscription services/content.

Try:

1) Checking for updates:  Settings/System/System update/Check now - try again

2) Manually configure display:  Settings/Display type/1080p TV (or 4K TV or 720p - whatever your TV supports) - try again

Otherwise, it may be overheating or experiencing a firmware bug (the Express 4K/4K+ are on a different firmware track than other players for now), and you should contact Roku support directly:

https://support.roku.com/contactus    choose setup/4k/other/need more help?

0 Kudos
Lumpkin126
Reel Rookie

I followed the steps suggested and still no luck. Every show I click starts to load then the error code pops up. I know these shows are still available because I can access them online but not from the television. 

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@Lumpkin126 wrote:

I followed the steps suggested and still no luck. Every show I click starts to load then the error code pops up. I know these shows are still available because I can access them online but not from the television. 

What is your model # and firmware version?  Settings/System/About

Again, what error message are you getting?

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@Sheplus3-- The Roku Channel currently only streams to the US, Canada, and the UK.

Couple of things to check:

• Are you connecting to the internet via a VPN that reports your actual location as somewhere other than the 3 supported countries?
  • You can use a website like https://www.iplocation.net/ to see where the IP number assigned by your internet provider (or VPN if you're using one) indicates you are located. If this doesn't represent your actual area, contact your internet provider (or VPN) and ask to be reassigned an IP in your area.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
Lumpkin126
Reel Rookie

Message I’m receiving “Cannot access program” then says the show or movie selected is not available or has expired. This message comes up no matter what show or movie is selected in the Roku channel app. 

Roku Tv: C127x

TCL model: 43S421

0 Kudos
Lumpkin126
Reel Rookie

My IP address is correct. This issue is recent. I have watched shows on the roku channel before with no problem. 

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@Lumpkin126 

Try reinstalling TRC:

1) Remove the app (Highlight the app, press the Options (*) button on the remote, then Remove)

2) RESTART the Roku (Settings/System/System restart/Restart) <-- MUST DO THIS HERE!!!

3) Re-install the app

(If you dont restart after removal, settings/cached data associated with the app are left behind and it wont be a clean re-install)

If that doesnt work, message @RokuDanny-R  with your model #, Serial #,  Device ID, firmware version, TRC app version, and a brief description of the problem including the specific error message.

terwyne
Reel Rookie

I am soooo fed up with Roku support. They seem to be him-hawing me around, "try this, try that" none of them suggested to reset factory defaults. That seems to have diminished the frequency of "dancing letters" but still did not solve the issue. My device is defunked, how many teeth do I have to pull before I get a replacement?!?

0 Kudos