Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ma16

Can I pay to get rid of ads?

I am so tired of trying to watch a program and being interrupted by ads. Is there a way to pay to get rid of them?

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Strega2
Roku Guru

Re: can I pay to get ride of ads?

Prime video, Netflix, Paramount+, Max and others do have commercial-free options (or are entirely commercial free).  I think Disney+, Apple TV, and maybe Hulu fall into that category as well.  (But I don’t use those so I’m not sure.) Each channel/app sets its own rules.

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

You don't mention what service or services you are complaining about. Free services like Roku Channel, Pluto TV, tubi, Local Now and a zillion others are free because they have ads. That is why they are called FAST channel services (Free Ad-Supported Television). Many of the subscription services now offer ad-supported and ad-free subscriptions at different prices.

I doubt if Roku Channel and others will ever offer a paid ad-free tier.

0 Kudos
pollymex5000
Reel Rookie

It's just a matter of time before Roku will offer ad free subscription but you'll get commercials anyway. Prime has already done that, you pay the subscription you pay extra to get rid of the commercials and then you have to pay-per-view any movie you want to watch. It's a really good for Amazon and it really sucks for everybody else. They can charge us three different ways.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@pollymex5000 wrote:

Prime has already done that, you pay the subscription you pay extra to get rid of the commercials and then you have to pay-per-view any movie you want to watch

While there certainly are many titles that are not included in the Prime subscription, it's not accurate to say you have to PPV for "any" movie you want to watch. The vast majority of titles I see when I browse are all included with Prime. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos