Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BunnyLady
Channel Surfer

CBC Gem disconnecting after 30 minutes

I see that CBC has changed to CBC Gem on Roku but can somebody please tell me why it keeps going back to the main screen after about 20 or 30 minutes?  This never happened before and it only happens on CBC Gem.  It's making it really frustrating to watch TV as I have to keep going back to choose live TV and then the channel.  Sometimes as well, I even have to re-log into my Roku account.

39 REPLIES 39
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: CBC Gem disconnecting after 30 minutes

Hi @BunnyLady,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We understand you are having trouble playing a channel. Please be advised that removing a channel and then reinstalling it may help in some cases. To ensure the process is successful, follow the steps below, making sure you restart your Roku device before adding the channel again.

• Remove the channel. Highlight the channel tile on your home screen and press the Star button on your Roku remote to open the Options menu. Select Remove channel and confirm.
  • Restart your Roku device: Home > Settings > System > Power. "If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step." System restart.
  • Reinstall the channel. Visit the Roku Channel Store and add the channel again.

For further reference, visit our support page: How to resolve a channel playback issue.

Please keep us posted on how it goes.

Best regards,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Sandy-AA
Channel Surfer

CBC Gem is disconnecting after one hour every time.  I did remove and re add the channel and it is still doing this.  

It is also making me SIGN IN  every day when i go to open the channel.  It is quite frustrating to sign in every time you click on it, and then in the middle of a program it shuts off at the one hour mark.  

If it is going to do this, then put it back to the CBC the way it was until they can fix the errors.

Thanks

RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Sandy-AA,

Greetings and a warm welcome here in the Roku Community!

Thanks for sharing this information with us, and we appreciate your efforts in inquiring. Regarding this, it might be a better option to contact the channel provider directly and let them know about the experience you had with their channels. Most channels on the Roku platform are designed, maintained, and developed by the channel providersthemselves.

We hope for your understanding, and hoping for the best to you.

Regards,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Lizzy6561
Binge Watcher

I have the same problem in all my roku players. Checked with cbc and they had me do all these suggested fixes but it still closes itself  I'm glad to see it's not just me but I sure would love to find a fix except I'm wondering if gem isn't what needs fixing now that I've done all of their (and your) suggestions. Any idea would be great since if we want cbc at all now we have to use gem 

Thabks for any help Liz Gill 

BunnyLady
Channel Surfer

Yes, and now it's telling me that the same program I watched just last night is not available for live stream. Come on CBC and Roku - get your act together!  We want to watch your channel!

JLF15

Having the same issue. CBC Gem “times out” after 30 minutes, and sometimes asks me to log in again. Did not experience any of this before the change from CBC to CBC Gem.

RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi, Community users!

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community regarding the CBC Gem channel issues you've encountered.

We're sorry to hear about the trouble you've encountered with the CBC Gem channel. As mentioned previously in this thread, it's a better option to contact the channel provider directly and inquire further about this issue. In the meantime, we are closely monitoring the issue on our end to see how we can work with this.

We hope for your understanding regarding this matter.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Lizzy6561
Binge Watcher

UPDATE FROM CBC GEM : I let cbc know that the fixes they sent to me (same as rokus) did not work and they replied this morning that they are now aware that this js a problem with their app but have not as of yet found the error that is causing jt to close  they said that they are actively working on it but cannot at this time provide a timeline as to when the issue will be fixed  I will post any further cbc gem email updates so that my fellow roku users know what's happening  but for now all we can do is wait for cbc to find the error and fix it 

Thanks 

Lizzy6561

Sandy-AA
Channel Surfer

Hi Lizzy6561

Thanks for the update.  I hope they can fix this really irritating having to sign in to it, and having shut off in the middle of your show.  And now not live streaming stuff we are used to watching live before.  I don't really know what the problem would be they are streaming Gem on Fire Stick with no issues at all.  

For now I will have to watch the shows I like to watch on the episodes list after the live play.  

0 Kudos